Planing MDF

How well does MDF plane, if at all? I've constructed a three-sided housing out of half-inch MDF to cover some pipes, but one edge is proud and has to be brought down so it's flush with the face of the next board. The amount to be removed isn't much, around one-sixteenth, but this is over an eight foot length and the work has to be done with the housing in place, so I'm reluctant to sand it because of the mess.
So, to repeat: how well does MDF plane? Or is there another way? If I do use a plane, I'll be buying or hiring one specially.
Many thanks.
Bert http://www.bertcoules.co.uk
"Bert Coules" snipped-for-privacy@bertcoules.co.uk says...

It planes fine, but I suspect this job would be easier using a router with a straight trimmer bit and guide bearing. You'll want to hook it up to a vacuum cleaner to avoid mess though.
Rob Morley wrote:

router
Thanks for the reply. I have to confess that I've never used a router. Is this a particularly skilful job? Can I be sure of removing the excess without also cutting into the adjacent surface?
Bert http://www.bertcoules.co.uk
You'll want to hook

If my experience of using a power planer is anything go by; no.
:o)
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk says...

router != planer
"Bert Coules" snipped-for-privacy@bertcoules.co.uk says...

As long as you feed in the right direction and keep the router flat against the surface the guide bearing should ensure that you get a perfectly smooth flush finish.
On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:05:34 +0100, "Bert Coules"
Pretty well, if you have a decent plane with a small mouth - a block plane is best, and a low-angle if you have it.
OTOH, it's hard on the iron and you'll see faster wear than timber.
Hi Bert

Psychic MDF planes OK but knocks 7 bells out of plane irons. An 8' length shouldn't be a problem though. Use a small block plane like this excellent example http://tinyurl.com/dn7hs
If you buy a small block plane it probably won't have been sharpened or honed. This little jobby uses disposable/reversible blades.
A block plane wont do the last 2" at each end (neither will router or planer), so that will have to be sanded or chiselled by hand.
Dave
Thanks to everyone for the replies. very helpful.
Dave,

Psychic MDF? Does it know what you're planning to do to it, even before you start?

That does look neat, and would be useful for other jobs too. One thing that's not clear from the description is the width of the blade: presumably it would be fine for my half-inch edge?
I used to have (and maybe still do, somewhere) a very small plane which used Stanley knife blades. That was a useful bit of kit.

or
Yes, I'd worked that bit out. The bottom doesn't matter as it will be hidden by skirting, but I'll have to do a neat job on the top end.
Bert http://www.bertcoules.co.uk
On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:05:34 +0100, "Bert Coules"

It will plane just fine in the way you descibe, but it will make just as much mess as sanding, as you will end up with a fine powder.
I suggest u wear a face mask & glasses, and have some for of "dust extraxion"
Rick
Rick,

Thanks for that.