Veneed MDF

About to veneer some MDF to make table leaves using a vacuum press . I will attempt to do both sides at once ,the panels are edged with solid wood.

The question is ,the MDF surface is so smooth I was wonderiong how well glue penetrates and so does the surface need some kind of prep

Reply to
mike hide

Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket ;) John

Reply to
John B

Depends on the glue. MDF soaks stuff up like a sponge so you may want to do a test piece and make sure that you're using enough.

Reply to
musials

Um, Put a drop of water on that MDF and rethink whether it remains smooth. When you apply the glue, the surface will no longer remain as smooth. Secondly, smooth surfaces actually are a great surface to glue to.

Reply to
Leon

MDF is very smooth, but it is also very porous. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for your help guys.....regards mike hide

Reply to
mike hide

"mike hide" wrote in news:lsKdnV13gM7J8MXenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I've never veneered mdf, but I'ved applied Formica to it.The first time was a failure, the contact cement (water base) was absorbed or over-absorbed by the mdf. The second try was successful. I spread the contact cement on the mdf, let it cure, applied another coat and the Formica adhered. I had a small job to do recently and decided to try a single coat again using solvent based contact cement. I spread this coat a bit heavy and it adhered nicely. Not a very scientific trial, but maybe the cement base can be an issue. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre