disconnecting Ethernet with a switch

It says it's in the UK but the seller is BEIJING HUA MING TRADING CO LTD

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

the oven thermometer lasted less time in the oven than it took to ship from China.

You would have thought that making the dial from materials capable of standing 250°C would be an obvious design point..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is.

See my post

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where from?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, it's actually part of the network card and the BIOS. It is possible for any OS to enable or disable it (or bugger it up if it doesn't know about it and leaves the network card in the wrong state when it shuts down).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many years ago, I needed to connect a data logger to the sections of a resistor bank operating at high temperature and voltage (1). I discussed the application with a supplier of what seemed a suitable device (MICC thermocouples), and spent a lot of time getting everything connected.

Tried it in anger, and the data logger input card blew up. Complained to the supplier about the apparent disappearance of insulating properties.They responded that I must have been heating them. As you can imagine, I was excessively reasonable when I shared with them my belief that a thermocouple might well be expected to encounter such a condition.

Mark II involved secondary electrical insulation, more hands, selector switches and squared paper.

We occasionally had problems getting MICC heating elements through insulation test. Running them for a while could improve matters, but sometimes it got worse. I had a vague idea that <dot>H2O became free H2O, but the details are obscured by the mists of time.

(1) Brake resistor for 1983 Tube Stock - withdrawn from service before I was.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The magnesium oxide mineral insulator is highly hygroscopic. The metalic casing needs to be completely sealed to prevent moisture ingress.

It's a problem doing PAT testing of some appliances. You are permitted to heat them up to drive moisture away from the element if they initially fail an insulation resistance test. Of course, if they're on an RCD, you probably can't.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I used to have an oven that tripped the whole-house RCD occasionally. The only way to get it working was to heat up the elements with a blowtorch. The element casings were cracked, allowing water vapour in.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Heh. When the power went down at a PPoE they couldn't bring it back up again because of the surge from all the SMPS starting, we had to go around manually switching stuff off (lots of Sun workstations). Normally nothing was shut down except for maintenance.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Fit type C MCBs, YKIMS ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

disconnect the earth wire and put them on a rubber mat.

In an enclosed safe live working area, of course.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You mean that the network switches of your computer?

Can you not simply block the ports used for this signal in the firewall? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The main thing I'm asking myself is if its being powered off, who is the controller and why? If its some kind of work machine, should we really be telling him how to subvert an action which is deliberately there for a reason?

I guess if he had admin rights to the machine he could just tell the start up routine not to load the driver for remote power down. In any case the obvious way to do this is not over the network but by a timed procedure in the computer itself set to only be edited by somebody with right admin account. That way no amount of unplugging the plug would stop it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Run a scheduled script to turn the adapter off and then on again some time later?

If it's Windows

Dan S. MacAbre

He might get lucky and it gets well on its way by the start of Chinese New Year next Tuesday but they may already be starting to shut down so the long wait may be even longer. Its a bit of a Pig really.

GH

Reply to
Marland

You have a very good point. In any large firm any subversion of an IT system, no matter how apparently trivial, could result in dismissal. Firms are naturally a little anxious about IT security, and I am sure a system adminstrator can think of a way the OP's computer not turning off as instructed could be a security risk. It they won't enable the OP to avoid the turn off officially he is probably well advised not to interfere.

My comment is probably not in the spirit of diy, but still.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

the wee switch from china does the job, yesterdays incomplete work is still there, to be completed today, or maybe tomorrow.

Reply to
misterroy

Now the long wait til it arrives from Shenzhen...

Reply to
Jim K..

"Dispatches from Shenzhen, China Delivery to United Kingdom Est. Fri, 15 Feb - Mon, 18 Mar From Shenzhen, China"

Reply to
Jim K..