Different car battery

The battery on my car gave up last week. I'm used to the idea that when the battery is dying things like lights get weak and the car gets difficult to start.
Not this one.
The first clue (which I missed) was that the radio failed. Car was due for a service soonish so I just put up with it. Except that one day, driving along, the radio came on of it's own accord but didn't work. Then the glowplug light stayed on after the car was running. Finally it failed to start but the lights still worked.
I was still not tuned to the idea that the battery had failed.
When I had the battery replaced I asked a few questions about why I'd missed the clues. I was told that modern cars "load shed" so when the battery starts to play up unimportant things (like the radio) are deemed not worthy of needing power and are "disconnected".
I've learned something!
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:04:13 +0000

That sounds like Apollo 13.
--
Davey.

Well yes, and airline reservations systems mainframes. Because they drive not only reservations fares, ticketing etc. but checkin and departure control (or they did when mainframes were THE thing) if the central systems started to play up they would stop certain functions until all that was left were the programs necessary to allow flights to depart.

I've had that kind of weirdness on a car with definitely no smarts... I suspect there was an earthing problem, so some things would come and go depending on whether they could get a path to earth through the chassis. Of course, the problem went away any time I went to try and pinpoint it.
Theo
On 23/03/2020 20:04, Graham Harrison wrote:

Modern (i.e. 90s onwards) tend to be very good at starting so it is easy not to notice that the battery that the failing. When one car's battery failed, I charged it up drove the car 10 miles to Halfords, bought a new battery and then had to fit it to start the car to go home.
--
Michael Chare

Odd - given modern alternators can cope with the total load at very low engine speeds.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

My C5 (replaced 7 years ago) did some form of load shedding if the battery wss getting flat. Parked up for a week and the remote unlocking didn't. The was a relevant message on the car's display screen.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I can see that. But with the engine running, battery on charge?
Had a BMW where the alternator failed on the way to work. But warning light not on. First thing to suffer was the auto - went into limp home mode with only (IIRC) 3rd gear out of five neutral and reverse available. Followed by the radio failing.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 14:12:20 +0000, charles wrote:

My S-Max does this. There are peiods when I only do short journeys, then I go back to longer ones.
After a period of short journeys, the touch locking ceases to work on all but the driver's door. Sometimes that goes out too and I have to press the button on the fob.
Not got as far as the emergency key yet.
On 23/03/2020 20:04, Graham Harrison wrote:

Last time I had a battery go it was overnight in cold weather. The day before the starter motor turned over fast and the car started OK and during the day it had a 30 mile run so the battery was probably fully charged. The next day - nothing - and the battery failed to charge on a main operated battery charger.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I had one that appeared to have developed an internal crack in the metal straps between the cells. It would work fine most of the time and then would refuse to turn over the engine at all, but would run the lights and ECU until you tried to start the engine. Even a jumper start wouldn’t work. Always came good after waiting a while which imo is what proves it was a crack in the metal straps.
Replacing the battery worked fine so it wasn’t a fault anywhere else.