paying in

went to the bank today to pay in some cash and it was shut...how does one pay in at the moment?.... will have some road tax refund checques soon as well to pay in.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Back of Scotland lets you pay cheques in by smartphone. Maybe other banks too? Cash usually isn?t too hard to use usually, although in these strange times...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I can categorically confirm the Nationwide CANNOT.

Cheques are a real PITA .. I'd have thought cash isn't too bad ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

our local psot office, which is still open, will accept payins.

Otherwise write a chegue for the amount. post the cheque and take the cash.

Reply to
charles

Nor can Natwest. When I last asked (probably about a year ago) they still intended to offer it but were a long way off being able to.

Barclays offer it to some customers: my sister was offered it a while ago, but my wife still hasn't, and both bank with Barclays.

Being able to pay in at the post office is useful if there's no branch of your bank nearby. Where I was living a year ago, the branch in one of the two markets towns nearby (Leyburn) had closed many years earlier, and the one in the other market town (Richmond, which also served Catterick Camp) closed a few months after we moved there. The nearest open branch was a

45-minute journey each way in Northallerton.

Using the post office you still have the long postal delay for cheques to be posted to a clearing centre, instead of the paid-in date being the date you hand the cheque over in a branch; the only thing you save over posting the cheque to a branch is the cost of a stamp.

Reply to
NY

Most of us phones where we can pay in cheques. Only a Luddite would not have such a smart phone.

Most banks allow you to pay in cheques at their cash machines.

The alternative is to simply spend the money as cash, and if need be send a cheque in lieu.

Some don't have a clue!!

Reply to
Fredxx

He's simply showing off, that he's got all these cheques to pay in.

Notice road fund tax refund "cheques" there to pay in, implying that he definitely owns more than one vehicle,

One possibly a motor-home complete with its own shower, maybe ?

michael adams

,,,

Reply to
michael adams

most cash machines are pay out only.

Reply to
charles

It's not a function of the phone so much as a function of the bank. Natwest still does not accept photos of cheques - unless it's changed since I last enquired a few months ago.

The last phone I had where the battery lasted as long as a week was an ancient Nokia which was only a phone with no smart capabilities - GPS, wifi, mobile internet. With GPS, bluetooth, wifi and mobile internet turned on, the battery lasts about 15 hours, which is fine for waking hours - take off charge when I get up and put on charge when I go to bed. I dare say I could squeeze a bit more life out of it by turning off GPS and mobile internet when I'm at home (so I know where I am and I can use my wifi) and by turning off bluetooth if I wasn't listening to a talking book on my earphones.

No I have never seen such a machine outside a bank, only inside. And my experience of them is that they very rarely manage to accept cheques, even those which are pre-printed rather than handwritten. When I've seen a long queue at the desks I've wasted a lot of time trying to get the machine to accept my cheques, and enlisted help from the "floating" staff who are there to help with machine problems.

Given that millions of cheques get processed automatically each day by Clearing, I'm not sure why it's beyond the wit of man (or wit of Natwest, anyway) to make a customer-usable machine that can read cheques that have printed digits for the amount (I accept that handwritten is a *lot* harder).

Reply to
NY

Barclays seems to manage it with handwritten cheques. Their machine reads the cheque in and tells you what it thinks the amount is. If you agree you press the button and it prints a receipt with a reduced image of the cheque on it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ones attached to branches often provide additional services.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, I can also see my phone in the dark. Battery lasts days, longer if I turn services off.

You should get out more.

And you're the one who's never seen a machine outside a bank that takes cheques. When I pay my cheques in I see a copy on the screen and it confirms the mount.

Your clue is lacking.

Reply to
Fredxx

And Barclays

Reply to
newshound

The machine in my local NatWest has never failed me in that regard - both printed and handwritten. It is quite new though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You should get out more.

Reply to
Fredxx

Banks are considered essential workers, so I'd suggest they are only manning key branches. I need cash, so they had best not shut banks as cash is what I pay my PAs with. Because the amount varies and timesheets and shopping vary, payroll systems are unworkable for the blind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Pay in at your local Post Office.

Mike