Diesel electric bus question

As I understand it, it is illegal to leave your engine running when you vacate the driving seat. The idea being concerns at the vehicle taking off on its own, driverless.

These modern diesel electric buses use battery to get them to 2nd gear speed, then start the diesel engine. When waiting at the bus stop the engine is stopped, except often the engine will start up of its own accord, whether the driver is in the cab or not.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

I've done it many times, and I'll do it in the future too - mostly for diagnosis of problems. And that's allowed.

Provided the driver has taken appropriate precautions, ie the bus is doing what it's supposed to do and it's been left in a state where it won't drive off (eg the parking brake is on), that's fine - it won't be counted as "unnecessarily".

Reply to
Clive George

Gawd how many delivery drivers turn off their engines when making a drop, I've not found one yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Postman yesterday left his running in between driving from house to house in a village yesterday.

Reply to
swldxer1

There's a small Tesco close to here with a large and usually quiet carpark. Much loved by white van man to park up in and eat his sandwiches. And they always leave the engine running, summer or winter. Presumably because they don't pay for the fuel.

Odd, really. If I spent my working day sitting on top of a clattering vibrating diesel, I'd welcome some peace and quiet with lunch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

Diesels are hopeless in winter, if the idea is to keep the cab warm. Hence why the fit 'night heaters'/ fuel burning heaters.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But they do it on the sort of day where you'd sit with the windows open. So neither too hot or too cold.

It's one of those things you notice once then keep on seeing it. Can't imagine they all have dodgy batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

they might need the engine on to run the radio?

Reply to
charles

And the on-board CCTV cameras, oyster card machine, free WiFi, advertising screens, lighting, GPS that monitors for speeding or missing stops and updates the scheduled arrival boards and bus-tracking phone app ...

Reply to
Andy Burns