Debit Card expiry

In short yes. Its always got the last four digits and the 3 digit code changed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine always has different long number last digits though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

With my bank, the debit card number changes each time (incremented, with a new check digit AIUI) but the credit card number remains the same.

Reply to
Scott

You need to notify the change in the 16 digit number when that changes if that is what was given to the supplier.

Reply to
Tim J

A DD (which is linked to your bank account) is under your control. If you tell the bank that too much has been taken or that payments should have ceased, they will refund the money. You can cancel the DD yourself at any time.

A recurring payment (which is linked to your debit or credit card) has no such guarantees and you must approach the company taking the payments to get things corrected. Even cancelling the card does not usually stop the payments! You can get things corrected, but it is a lot harder.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not necessarily. My new debit card has exactly the same number as my old one, just different dates and CCV number.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not sure...

My wallet was stolen a few months ago (on first day of a 4 week holiday

- but that's another story).

I had a new Amex card issued a few weeks later, and only noticed that the long number and expiraty date were different last week when buying something on amazon. I have the old card details saved with a few online retailers that I have used during that time without any problem. Not sure I am even going to bother updating the card details with them.

Reply to
JoeJoe

PS: even the four digits at the front (Amex version of the 3 at the back) were different, but the card worked without a problem with all the retailers who had the old card details registered with.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Things have changed a bit for the better as regards cancelling a CPA. You can now tell the bank to stop payments, and they can and must follow your instructions. The regulator decided this a few years. Problem was that banks don't have control of CPAs: Mastercard and Visa handled them. But that's the banks' problem and they've had to work round it.

DD is still generally better than CPA though (unless you want the protection of a credit card for payments over £100).

Reply to
Robin

That is odd since the first thing they do with a credit card that you have reported as stolen is prevent any further transactions on it (and also unwind any that you confirm were not made by you). Amex may be different I suppose but I wouldn't want to do business with them if they really are as sloppy about stolen card transactions as you imply here.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Mine too. I think different banks have different policies on whether the number changes at renewal.

Reply to
Clive Page

But can you actually set up a DD using just your debit card number - rather than your bank account details on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite.

But that isn't a DD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a system that the the CC companies use that notifies utilities etc when card numbers change. I read something a couple of years ago, when someone got upset because his supplier knew his new number before he did.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

No, if all you have the card number and expiry date etc...

(although since most debit cards also include the account number and sort code, the information required to setup a proper DD is there if you have physical access to the card)

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite.

Having - or not having - a debit card is irrelevant to setting up a DD.

A credit card continuous payment authority is a different matter. That could pay when your bank account is heavily overdrawn etc, and a block put on any further payments.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So why the f*ck did you ask "What's the difference between setting up a DD via a debit card to setting one up on the account it refers to?"

Oh, I know, it's because you're an idiot.

Reply to
Richard

DD applies to your bank account sort code/account number. CPA applies to your credit card

Reply to
bert

You need to understand the difference between direct debits and continuous payment authority for payments on your card and find out exactly what you have set up. DD are better regulated and can be cancelled by both you OR the payee CPAs need the agreement of both parties to be cancelled. I refuse to have the latter for that reason alone.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Tis what I said before. Just highlighting that the card does include the information you need to setup a DD. You can get that same information elsewhere as well obviously.

Reply to
John Rumm