costs of small domestic electric work?

I have an electrician coming round this evening to look at some work I need doing - 4 additional double wall sockets and remove a fluorescent light and fitting. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what this should cost? I haven't a clue and could do with a rough benchmark. Midlands area. Thanks

Liz

Reply to
EN

Id say max of a days work. £100 to £200 tops. floor boards will need to come up and plaster chiselled away to bury cables to do the job propa. if extra sockets are to be right next to existing ones, then obviously the job is alot smaller...about £60 labour. more detail needed to give a more accurate answer.

ste

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

ed doing - 4 additional double wall sockets and remove a >fluorescent >ligh= t and fitting. Can anyone give me a rough idea of >what this should cost?

Contractors we use tend to charge about =A325 per additional double socket (in the liverpool area) - not including making good the chasing holes they leave.

YMMV.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

Many thanks. this is exactly what he has quoted me! I am however a bit concerned as he started quoting Part P regs at me, saying it couldn't now be done by a d-i-yer, that Part P applied, that he would need to test the whole circuit so I have to ensure he can get to every power socket in the house - major upheaval! It seems pretty clear to me that additional power points weren't included in part P and that anyone could do those. Is it also necessary for him to test every wall socket in the house to install 4 additional ones?

Thanks, he seems to be a nice enough guy and am happy to pay for electrical work, just don't want to be taken for an idiot! and anyway, like to do my homework.

Liz

Reply to
EN

He has to make sure that the circuit to which he is connecting the additional sockets is compliant.

It's probably not strictly necessary to test every socket, but he is covering his back against any future allegation that his work disrupted or damaged the circuit, eg if an existing socket is found to be unearthed at a later date.

Owain

Reply to
Owain