small fluorescent

I've salvaged the thin fluorescent tube from the scanner section of a Cannon scanner/printer/copier. As the power supply had a number of unmarked voltages I guessed at 12V for the tube electronics but it only lights up 3/4 of the length, should I risk a higher voltage?

I wanted to see if I could use it as a low power light for a hallway after lights out.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The message from AJH contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King

example of an easy solution.

Are you sure the scanner was actually working?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

OK but I was trying to recycle some bits rather than dumping them, still looking at two stepper motors...

No but the previous owner junked it because of a (well known) print head fault, so I guessed it would be OK.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I assume you can't resurrect it enough to measure the voltage?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Other causes of this might be tube too close to metalwork so current leaks out capacitively, or conductor to far-end electrode broken.

You will probably find it's a rather revolting blue-white colour for use in the home.

JKL is a well-known manufacturer of the 2mm diameter fluorescent tubes and inverters, and you might get some useful information from their website:

Andrew Gabriel

When I touch the tube the illuminated length changes as my finger moves over it.

Although quite bright to look at I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of illumination it provides, currently I leave a small 11W cfl on, with a sound activated switch, so I can see my way down the stairs in an emergency but it's become a bit erratic.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I pulled the psu out but lost which of the outputs ran the exciting circuit for the tube, I'll have to dig out my dmm and check the psu outputs.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

11W is only 3 quid or so per year, 8 hours a day.

I'm at the moment installing - along with other work - 10 1W 'warm white' LEDs as emergency lighting.

These go across a rough 5V bus, going round the house, powered from a large battery, and are on 8 hours/day or so.

This is not a whole lot of light, but it's completely adequate for not walking into things if you haven't come from light outside. And if you have, then more light'll be coming in anyway.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Unfortunately, in some cases, the PSU may not output proper voltages unless loaded. You may get lucky though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Why not hook it up to 14v and see if it lights a bit further along.

I would not touch the tube while on, these are typically run off high voltage high frequency and use external foil electrodes. Very long life but fingers off.

Alternatively get a 3w cfl.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I shall give it a try but 12V was convenient (gel cell car battery booster to hand)

Thanks for the warning.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

or use existing supply but put it thru 2 diodes to drop 2v, and see if its worse.

NT

Reply to
meow2222