fluorescent tube compaitbility

I need to replace some older 8' fluorescent tubes with the electromagnetic ballasts in the fixture. Will the new slimtubes work in these fixtures? I can't replace the ballasts or fixtures very easily. mm

Reply to
Michael Muderick

"Michael Muderick" wrote on 21 Oct 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I can tell you from experience that the slim tubes (T8) are not a replacement for the fat tubes (T12). They require different types of ballasts.

A T8 tube will work in a T12 fixture for a short while, but it will then get very flaky and burn out. I've had several clients make that mistake. The fix is to get the right type of bulb.

Now then you mention "electromagnetic" ballasts. Typically, the T8 fixtures have an electronic ballast, and the T12 fixtures have a magnetic ballast. You've combined the terms, so I can't be sure which you have. If you read the label on the ballast, it should tell you what you want to know.

Reply to
Steve

New Life Home Improvement

T-8 bulbs will work in a regular fixture as the pins match.. Just get the correct ballast. electronic ballasts are available for the T-12 bulbs also and you can even run 4 bulbs from one ballast if bought correctly. huge difference in heat generated and weight of the fixture etc. T-8 are more energy efficient and better light.

Reply to
bob kater

quoting:

You can still easily get regular 8' T12 "fat" tubes at any home depot, lowes, etc. They are usually reduced wattage 60W ones though with tend to be a bit dimmer than "real" 75W ones though. You can get a better selection of real 75W tubes at most any electrical supply house, if you prefer the brighter tubes.

But T8 "slim tubes" are incompatible with older electromagnetic ballasts.

Reply to
jason.mangiafico