Heat tape for copper tubing

This year I'm using elec. heat tape on one section of my pipes (that cannot be drained) to winterize my home before I head back south.

Other than what is on the package, are there any (other) caveats to be aware of..? TIA

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Other than what is on the package, are there any (other) caveats to be aware of..? TIA

If you can reach the tubing to put tape on it, you can drain it. Cut the tubing at the lowest point, add a "T" and a drain valve. If you must, put two valves (one at each end) and blow the line out with compressed air.

That is far better than trusting heat tape for months at a time or if there is a power failure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hey Ed I was going to say the same thing exactly, then I read your post..

Reply to
ransley