rodding /unblocking toilet

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much it might cost to call someone out to clear out whatever's causing the occasional blocking of the toilet? Not an emergency callout. Rural Midlands.

Sorry, I know I can do it myself, but I'd rather spend money I saved on doing my own kitchen on getting someone else in to do unsavoury jobs like this

Many thanks

Liz

Reply to
Liz

[...]

Yellow pages, Scoot, Thomsons and a phone call or two will give you the exact information that you need.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And as per Rogue Traders TV program most of these are cowboys who cost a lot for the call out and then do lots of unnecessary drain flushing so you can be landed with a bill for £100s. e.g. shown was a sink with blocked U bend. The "drain experts" flushed the outside drains for ages before quietly unblocking the sink. The final bill was more than 500 quid as I recall! So beware..

Reply to
BillR

Anything from £50 to £600. Don't call out any of the national firms or anyone trying to get at the front or back of the listings with names like AAA Plumbing or ZZZ Plumbing. Find a small local self employed plumber or handyman with a set of drain rods and ask around for suggestions from satisfied neighbours. Or you can call the local council who do drain unblocking for a reasonable fixed fee. If the drains are shared with a neighbouring house and the house was built prior to about 1930 (I forget the exact date) this is called a shared sewer and is the responsibility of the water board even though it's on your land. They will fix it for free.

A set of drain rods for £30 is an excellent investment and once you learn how to use them you can fix most blockages in a few minutes.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks, yes that's exactly why I wrote to the list before ringing round, to give me some sort of benchmark to compare prices/services against.

Thanks for all the advice and apologies for the multiple messages - not quite sure what happened there!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

"Liz" wrote in news:blggfm$iea$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

Buy a toilet plunger. We had similar problems in our old house. It's like a sink plunger with a round flat bottom, worked a treat and cost about £10.

Reply to
Billy Whizz

If its only occasuional, go to hardware shop and get bottle of dry caustic soda.

Pour down loo, follwed by kettle of hot water, put plastic bag over loo quickly keeping face away and shut th lid on it for a few hours.

That will probably clear any mangled sanitary towels and pencils your kids have flushed down - or at least turn teh trurds into soap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, yes I thought of caustic soda but apparently it can't be used with septic tanks as it messes up the bio-whatsit that keeps the septic tank healthy

Unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Liz

Reply to
Liz

1937 is the relevant date. Any such drain, or part of, serving two or more properties is the responsibility of the water company. The bit up to the communal part is, of course, the responsibility of the householder. Normally this is quite short in such properties e.g. 2m and easily rodded. Another thing the OP can try is pro drain cleaner chemical that they sell in plumbers outlets. Its fearsome stuff in my experience and will shift most things.
Reply to
BillR

Buy the locking ones from BES* rather than the ones which unscrew leaving part of the set lost down your drain (and blocking it!) when you inadvertently twist them the wrong way (and sometimes you _need_ to twist the wrong way, to free up the tool).

  • (they do them individually rather than as a set)

-- John Stumbles

-+ Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Reply to
John Stumbles