Cornwall Electricals

Having tried to purchase a washing machine from cornwall electricals I am still waiting for delivery. The service at first was prompt but you could never get in touch over the phone but I used to get replies via e-mail.

I tried to purchase this by card then received an e-mail asking for a BACS payment as the card machine was 'down'. I swiftly paid by BACS having received an e-mail saying delivery would also be quicker.

Now I cannot get intouch by phone or e-mail and have no way of getting my money back.

Does anybody have any alternative contact numbers other than 08700 347

882 or 01736 369 215.
Reply to
scottm

I don't want to sound negative here but... Are you mad? You should absolutely never, ever, ever pay for anything by BACS.

You have absolutely no protection whatsoever and I suspect you have lost that money forever.

Assuming the other posts about this company are correct, your best course of action would be to contact the police.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Houses? (Although it is more usual to pay by CHAPS - the faster version). Utility bills? (I think on-line banking is BACS under the hood).

(We use online banking to send UKP1000s to our foreign currency broker.)

... but the idea of not using a card to buy white goods is "unusual".

Oh come now! That is an exageration. You have normal contract law, and the criminal law to protect you.

That, of course, may well be true.

That's a big assumption. There is clearly at least one gentleman (not somebody I recognize as a regular) who is seriously irritated by this company ... and that is pretty much about all that the rest of us can say with confidence.

Who will almost certainly say "civil matter, sir". In this case, I think they are probably right (unless the OP has any evidence of deception etc - as distinct from a firm going broke).

Trading Standards might be a better bet.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Hmm. Just read the thread. It does rather look as though Cornwall Electrical copyied other stores reviews, and posted positive reviews to the thread via sock-puppets. That may just be a desperate businessman in difficulty, but ...

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Website has been closed down too:

might get some job by contacting EKM Power Shop and enquiring as to why Cormwall Electricals shop was closed down
records give this info: Domain name: cornwallelectricals.co.uk

Registrant: scott major

Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address: 19a parc mellan heamoor cornwall cornwall TR18 3PB GB

Registrar: Ekm Systems Ltd t/a Ekm Systems Ltd [Tag = EKMSYSTEMS] URL:

Relevant dates: Registered on: 05-Feb-2008 Renewal date: 05-Feb-2010

Registration status: Registration request being processed.

Name servers: ns1.ekmsystems.net ns2.ekmsystems.net

WHOIS lookup made at 15:49:36 28-Feb-2008

phone book gives the following telephone numbers (the first being that of the "shop"):

S Major Tel: (01736) 369215 - Text Number

19a Parc Mellan, Penzance, TR18 3PB - Map

S Major Tel: (01736) 369558 - Text Number

19a Parc Mellan, Penzance, TR18 3PB - Map

If you paid by BACS then I assume you have a sort code and account code for the said person. All stuff that might help the police.

Reply to
Matthew Ames

Hardly the same as ordering a washing machine off the internet...

A trusted recipient.

And should have rung massive alarm bells...

Yes, but no direct mechanism for instantly getting your money back.

I suspect it will turn out to be the case.

Website is gone, postal address doesn't exist, various other issues if you google a bit.

There is a suspicion of deception though - you would have to agree. (Vanishing website, non-existent address etc...)

The company doesn't appear to be trading any more ;)

Reply to
stevelup

More likely they'll be back under another name.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

If a firm has ceased trading the chances of an unsecured creditor getting all their money back is remote - the IR and banks etc get theirs first. With a credit card your contract is with the credit card firm and they are responsible under law if the goods aren't supplied, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Matthew Ames" contains these words:

How much of a coincidence is it that Cornwall Electricals is owned by Scott Major, and the instigator of thsi thread is 'scottm'?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

This Scott M seems to have a better grasp of when to use capital letters though.

Reply to
Matthew Ames

His grammar is also much better.

To add to the other data, the original mentioned in passing he is 27 years old.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

IR and C&E lost their status as preferential creditors under the Enterprise Act 2003. (Some asked if the Government felt IR and C&E should behave commercially and cease to do businesses with people who were visibly a bad risk. But there was of course no answer to that. It was all part of creating an enterprise culture. No link of course to the spend-spend-spend-on-credit culture.)

May be relevant to DIY bankruptcy ;)

Reply to
neverwas

It's just occurred to me that their site was one of the ones I looked at to buy my new cooker. There but for the grace of God, I reckon.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

If it's a small unknown outfit, the prices are rock bottom and the web site is tatty, wouldn't that be enough?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's true that the tattiness of the website put me off, but the outfit I did buy it from were also unknown to me - and I can be a sucker for a low price[1] :-)

Pete

[1] On the same item. I think I've finally learned that more expensive (different) stuff can be worth it.
Reply to
Pete Verdon

When you've risked losing everything, it does concentrate the mind.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Believe me mate im not Cornwall Electricals! Them pricks owe me =A3189!!

Reply to
scottm

Apart from the co-incidence of the name, isn't it strange that the only=20 occurences of your email adddress on the whole of usenet and the web=20 relate to them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is a co-incidence, but I find it very hard to believe that the owner of Cornwall Electricals is the author of the line you quoted.

Of course, it is possible that the author of that line was inspired to choose his email address by the name of the owner of Cornwall Electricals.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

We paid for 3 appliances from this company and met both the father and son directors/partners. Stupidly we paid cash as they were in the process of setting up new credit card facilities. The goods never arrived and we had great difficulty in contacting them by phone but eventually got a call from the father advising us that they had a problem with their delivery driver stealing the money which was to pay for our goods!! On further discussion we were advised by the father to contact Penzance police on 084527774444. We did this to discover that the son had been arrested and a whole can of worms has been opened. I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO CONTACT THE POLICE and ask to spak to DC Goldsmith, who is dealing with the case.

Reply to
paulamemory