Consumer unit regulations change

Quite. Of course, if an installer doesn't tighten things properly it might well give problems down the line when the terminals start to oxidise slightly. I've seen a lot of that with sockets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When my parents re-wired their 1950s-built house in the mid '80s, I was given the job of stripping all the lead sheathing off the old wiring.

Reply to
Adrian

harryagain wrote

You're talking s**te. If he'd touched the wiring and there had been any kind of problem anytime afterwards, the meter man could be held responsible.

Reply to
Sailor

I've just heard of someone locally who has started using an impact driver to do up CU device terminals (very lightly, but a good couple of "clicks") due to not being happy with terminals that tighten, then don't seem to stay that way.

I see some merit in that (noting the potential to strip threads) as the impact action will settle any cores into place - might be a market for a very lightweight insulated impact driver with torque setting (and a printed on guide for terminal type/size).

Reply to
Tim Watts

at the Tool Fair in Esher in November I spooted screwdrivers with a torgue setting. Presumablt to get the terminals properly tight.

Reply to
charles

Is this a new breed of electricians? I'd always assumed that they all had bloody enormous tools and that the only torque setting they knew was "just short of shearing".

Reply to
Robin

I've never had a problem by simply using the correct screwdriver and tightening them fully.

My guess is some rogue 'sparks' leave them loose deliberately. I've seen it too often for pure coincidence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's Kwik-Fit when they change a tyre.

Torque screwdrivers for electricians are the "in thing" ATM.

Well in second place to

I know more electricians with the bulb than the screwdrivers

Reply to
ARW

I always assumed screw terminals were prone to being self loosening

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've never had any of mine loosen. I always assume that other people may not have done them up properly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks (and to Charles).

And after looking at the prices of torque screwdrivers I'm off for another drink (and possibly scribbles about t-bars with hanging weights).

Reply to
Robin

If that's the problem there are a lot of careless people out there

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's easier to believe than they're all from rogue sparkies ... Are they supposedly expecting to get a full rewire job following the fire?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Propellants vary as to what is being propelled. Propane is normal for petroluem based products. CO2 is used in water based products. Also cheaper and safer. But is at higher pressure, needs stronger can.

Refrigerant gases were used at one time too. I think a lot were done away with due to holes in ozne layer issues.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, I think that's right. In days of yore ,Wylex had two screws per terminal. Lots of things did. These cage things are crap.

Reply to
harryagain

Did he test the installation? What readings did he get? Why would he need to touch the lead sheathed cable to change a meter anyway? Did he take off any switches to check the insulation?

He was a lying/ignorant toad if he said lead shielded cable had an earth wire. Hence not to be trusted.

Reply to
harryagain

On lead sheathed cables the sheath was the earth. There were clamps that went round the cable at each end to connect the earth on the cable to soemthning else.

Reply to
charles

I suspect many of the problems being encountered would be avoided if the ow ners would have five yearly inspections carried out and the inspectors acti ons would actually be to check terminations during the inspection. No doubt the elfnsafety brigade would tell us not to touch the live incoming tails despite using insulated tools?

Reply to
johnjessop46

is worth a read.

Reply to
ARW

More likely just jobs for the boys. None of the loose connections I've seen actually caused a fire. Just a lot of inconvenience and no little cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)