Consumer unit fitted, having problems

Well indeed, but sometimes even that is more hassle than mentally multiplying the length of cable you installed by the unit length resistance and adding on Ze

Was this the new one after you last one got pinched?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Oops, sorry. I didn't finish the tale.

I'd gone home and left the landlord and the electrician to it. Plan being to have a look at it myself in the morning if it wasn't sorted (having gleaned what I have) or get a guy in who I had used in the past who I know is 'proper'. It seemed pointless us all arguing in the darkness when I still have that ****ing kitchen to finish.

When I went back in in the Morning it was working. I've no idea what he did, there's more stuff in the CU and the stickers he put in there don't tally with the switches anymore. I've been meaning to ascertain what has been done, i'll go and have a look in a minute.

Reply to
R D S

Right,

There used to be 2 fuses, one for lights and one for sockets.

Now I have 4 MCBs One 'does' the lights. One does a lone socket in the meter cupboard. The other two appear to do nothing, though strangely one of them did turn the sockets off the first time I flicked the switch but flicking it since doesn't.

And there is a 80A 30MA RCD. This also appears to do nothing when I flick the switch and nothing happens when I press the yellow button on it. I'll knock the whole lot off at the main switch when I go home and ponder whether to get the landlord to sort it or just pony up for a proper electrician myself.

Reply to
R D S

Another update on this, I pulled the cover off the CU and all the earths appear to have been disconnected.

Reply to
R D S

Please get some photos. They will be handy for the coroners report.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

To be fair that could not have been a good install in your previous setup. Was the

from a normal 13A socket?

If the RCD test button does not work it would suggest that there is no power to it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, I have been waiting for the CU to go in so that we could wire a separate circuit(s) for the room with the equipment in it.

Reply to
R D S

There's a pic here,

R D S

But why bypass the RCD AND disconnect the earths.

As you know from my previous posts I often do not take things in life too seriously. However I would be very careful at your place of work. Even more so if you have employees.

Your DNO would cut your supply off if they saw that and I would pull all the cables and fuses/MCBs and walk away if a customer did not agree to immediate action (yes I know, you are not the customer). They would also get a registered letter stating why I have done so.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

think may be appropriate. You will be committing an offence yourself if you now use anything connected to that CU, as you are now aware that it is dangerous. H+S at Work act1974, and Electricity at Work Regs 1989 are both relevant.

Turn it off at the main switch, then leave it until it is made safe.

Who did this - a supposedly qualified sparky? If so, ring up his governing body and report him to them too.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I hadn't noticed that the RCD had also been bypassed. What would provoke someone to leave it in that way?

It is switched off and will be sorted post haste.

Reply to
R D S

Will it work when it has no earth to leak to?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The RCD is not connected to earth. The test button causes a current imbalance via a resistor between the live and neutral terminals

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is of some considerable concern to say the least. Negligent would be putting it mildly.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some electrician !! More like Cowboy.... Bet he wasn't Part P ..........

Reply to
the_constructor

If the electrician has been party to, or at least aware of, the argument between landlord and tenant then it could be deliberate sabotage prior to an attempt to place responsibility for the current state of the wiring on interference by a clueless tenant.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I have sent you an email, if you could get back to me or give me a call I would be massively grateful.

Ta!

Reply to
R D S

And I have just got in from work and seen it! I have replied to you.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are you absolutely sure it was actually left like that for you to use and not in the process of testing the circuits?

Reply to
grimly4