Replacing fuse box with RCD consumer unit

Are there any actual regulations that would prevent a DIY replacement of an old fuse box with a modern consumer unit?

I know that strictly speaking you should call out the electricity supplier to remove the large main fuse on the supply side - but speaking to an electrician recently he says that they regularly remove that fuse themselves and just ignore the suppliers rules.

What's the legal position?

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

The legal situation is that the fuse carrier and seal are the property of the distribution company and deliberately breaking one or both without authority is criminal damage.

The practical situation is that they can have no proof of who did it and when. So they will simply replace the seal, when next there, eg replacing the meter.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

================================== I think there are two separate issues. First, interfering with the Board's sealed fuses; according to some sources you'll be hung, drawn and quartered for this crime - others say it's a bit risky. Secondly, the actual replacement of the CU; this seems to require official inspection and certification by the BCO. When I did mine the certificate issued was actually very vague.

If you are going to do this yourself it can be simplified by installing an isolation switch (100 amps) to which your supplier will connect new meter tails (usually no cost). You then connect the old tails between the outbound side of the isolation switch and your existing fusebox. You can then install a new consumer unit at your leisure without interfering with the main fuses simply by switching off at the new isolating switch.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
nobby

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and pay someone to come and do the job!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

How old are your cables? Swapping a fuse box for a split load CU can cause trippng problems on the RCD if the cables are old or bodges have been done on the wiring.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth