wiring up door bell to CU

I want to run a supply cable from an MCB on my consumer unit to a bell trans. Is it in order to flip the CU 2 main switches to off then remove the cover and connect up with care? The only way to isolate it is to pull the company fuse otherwise. Similarly I want to power a couple of smoke/heat detectors but from another CU.

Reply to
AJH

Hi You say 2 main switches. This sounds like a split board (one side with RCD protection and the other without).These boards are the norn' now and providing you connect to the right neutral bar you should have no problems . These units have busbar covers protecting the live incommers so turning of the main breakers will make the board safe enough to work on. I would recomend you put local isolation in the form of a fused spur with 1a fuse near the transformer if it is more than 3ft from the consumer unit.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Thanks CJ! The trans is right by the CU (yes split load) so I'll cable it direct then.

Reply to
AJH