Condensing Combi boiler price drop

Assuming your figure to be true, that means that 90% wouldn't.

The glass is 90% full, not 10% empty..........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Energy saving overall in London would not reduce as these 10% would be forced into electricity.

Which uni was it that you said made you think? I'll remember not to sent people there.

Reply to
IMM

This isn't some new deeper magic.

Basically this is a variant of using a combi to provide instant hot water for a shower and then using the heating function to charge up an energy store. This time the energy store is the bath water either at 60 degrees or something higher with a blending valve.

If it is at 60, then the radiators need to be calculated for a lower MWTA temperature.

Are you talking about the "boiler" being conventional or condensing?

Where's the value in doing this?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have never seen any in places like Home Depot, and unlike their clone, B&Q, they have a wide range and sell a lot of them. I've even looked around in the equivalent of plumber's merchants and have not seen condensing products at all.

THey all have energy labels, but when I looked at some specs. the efficiencies were not exciting.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is another famous extrapolation without figures or logic. Are you going to write to Ken about this and tell him that he needs to make jag+=2 unhappy again?

That would be good.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You had a quite respectable cloud steaming away there lunchtime Monday (I was working at a house backing onto the back of yours, from where I could see it) and I think if you had a horizontal flue discharging directly towards e.g. next door's kitchen window it would be a nuisance.

John S

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hmmm, the sort of water heater which has basically a cylinder of water with the burner/heat exchanger running up the centre (so as to heat a large volume of water relatively slowly for storage, rather than a small volume instantaneously) is possibly more promising wrt being made condensing (or even used with flameless combustion).

John S

Reply to
John Stumbles

Ah. I haven't seen it during the day, only at night. Perhaps it goes to bed after 6pm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ken should be written to. Great man.

I know.

Reply to
IMM

Seen any ECO-Hometecs at B&Q these days? Mmmm See any thermal stores or heat banks? Mmmmm

Condensing forced air units are available in the USA. Over here J&S make an adaptor to make the unit a condensing one.

Reply to
IMM

No, just another cost effective approach, using a simple reliable method (could be non-electric controls) of heating water.

A multipoint is NOT a combi. This you cannot understand.

A multipoint has no heating function. It is NOT a combi. It is a single function water heater. A combi is a dual function water heater.

Getting it. As bending valves will be standard in all new houses soon, it is worth putting one on.

Or raise the storage temperature.

Currently multipoints are all regular, I am not on about a boiler. Please read the thread again and make a drawing.

It was explained well enough.

Reply to
IMM

Written off you mean.

I will say one thing for him, however. At least he makes his position on things clear unlike the jokers in Downing St.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL. How Little Middle England.

Reply to
IMM

I was using the term only in the sense of instant heating of DHW with gas, not in terms of detailed functionality and separate circuits.,

Yes I know.

It wasn't clear to me from your explanation.

If you think this has value, please explain again in a little more detail including how it is hooked up.

The multipoint is effectively a "single channel" heater of water. How is that then used in the context of the DHW in its different forms and the heating?

Are you basically saying that there is a circuit of mains pressure potable water between the multipoint and the cylinder and this is circulated by a bronze pump?

Is water drawn from that circuit for "small use" e.g. at the sink?

What happens at the cylinder? Are you talking about pressurising the bulk of the water and then drawing larger amounts from the cylinder (or I suppose the pipework for that matter), or is the cylinder indirect with the multipoint water going through that coil and the larger bulk separate DHW either vented or not? Then AIUI, you are suggesting that the CH is run from an indirect coil anyway, so either this is double indirect if the DHW is split into two entities or single indirect if it is one.

Regarding the multipoint being a simple device with mechanical valve, I lived in one place with an Ascot and another with a Main, and the valves would fail like clockwork every two years and need a new rubber diaphragm.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No but they do sell condensing boilers as you well know. They are becoming more commonplace at the merchants. To that extent they are widely available.

No, because the general acceptance of them has not reached the same point as yet. Whether it will, who knows. A packaged DIYable one could be interesting for the sheds to sell at some point in the future.

I'm sure they are, but they are not in wide use or availability. I was speaking in relative terms, not absolutes.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Few and far between. And only discontinued lines.

The sheds do sell anything that is advanced. they low market quick to sell kit. Anything advanced go elsewhere.

Don't judge the USA by Home Depot (B&Q). Trane and Lennox make top quality kit.

Reply to
IMM

The total cost of the main components is low:

- multipoint

- 2-port valve

- flowswitch

- high head bronze pump (the only expensive item)

- cheap CH pump

- cyl stat(s)

- room stat

- 200 litre cylinder or thereabouts, part L, or above,

The layout

- From cold water storage tank take a pipe to cold inlet of the shower mixer

- Tee off this pipe and go to the Cylinder cold feed

- Tee off this pipe and go to the multipoint inlet.

- From the cylinder draw-off using a Surrey flange, or from the shower connection on the side of the cylinder go to the hot inlet of the shower mixer.

- Tee off this pipe and go to the outlet of the multipoint

- just before the shower mixer insert a flow switch.

- Between the cylinder cold feed and the tee to the multipoint, insert a high head bronze pump.

- on the now "flow" just before the cylinder insert a 2-port valve.

- install a cylinder stat (or two to prevent boiler cycling) on the cylinder. Cycling elimination prolongs controls.

- Rad circuits off the cylinder coil with own pump and room stat

- Could put a blending valve on the cylinder draw-off.

Operation:

- No mains pressure at all.

- When the cylinder is calling for heat the 2-port opens and the pump operates. the pressure the pump creates opens the water valve on the multipoint and opens the gas valve. You have heat at 102,00 BTU/hr heating the cylinder directly, giving a zippo recovery rate.

- When the shower valve is opened the flow switch detects flow, closes the

2-port if opened energises the pump. The pump pumps through the multipoint, directing all it power to the shower, and also around it supplying hot and cold water. No water goes through the cylinder. the cold side pipe may need a restrictor. or better still a flow regulator on each hot and cold leg of the mixer.

- When the shower is off, the 2-port opens back up and it will then heat the cylinder.

Most multipoint have simple mechanical controls with no electrics and no electronic board. Even though with forced flues, which are more efficient, don't have electronic boards. This is a simple system that is very reliable and cheap to install, giving a decent shower and eliminating "water heater" cycling.

Multipoints are designed to be used with fresh potable water. A phosphor de-scaler should be on the system anyhow, as they should be on all systems where scale is a problem..

If multipoints are in the new raised efficiencies, then this setup looks even more appealing.

Of which it is.

They can be changed at every other service. A simple job. Using the multipoint with a thermal store and two cylinder stats reduces cycling, so the diaphragm would get little use compared to just being on the taps. Elimination of cycling prolongs the controls of any water heater/boiler.

Reply to
IMM

This sort of thing is driven by the civil service and it moreorless independent of which colour lot are in power. It will happen in April 2005 provided the appropriate paperwork can be made ready, otherwise probably be in 2007.

Reply to
G&M

US style water heater are available in the UK. Andrews have an add on plate heat exchanger that take hot water from the water heater fir CH purposes.

IMM