Condensing Combi boiler price drop

We've had this debate before as well. While this approach reduces boiler cycling, it does not allow the boiler to modulate down to lower temperatures where it can be even more efficient.

It is better to run the CH directly from the boiler and allow downward modulation to occur and then to have a heat bank or other energy store such as a DHW cylinder with an effective coil to transfer heat quickly from the boiler.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does a multipoint have a secondary heat exchanger, or does the main heat exchanger directly heat the incoming DHW?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It is not the same. A combi "combines" DHW and CH. The operational principles of some combi's is similar to a multipoint, but few are the same. A multipoint has one large gas to water heat exchanger and a water diaphragm operated gas valve (not 3-way). Most are modulating these days.

Reply to
IMM

The current plume is a mere wisp which dissipates within 30cm of the terminal. It is barely visible. If it is installed within the allowed limits from windows, it would be fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Very good point. Also in flats, where small combis are very popular, I've seen several combis installed where there it would be extremely difficult to get a drain connection for a condenser.

Reply to
BillR

My guess the new regs won't apply to anything solely used to heat water ... Maybe lead to some possible getouts by manufacturers claiming their products are "water heaters".

Reply to
BillR

I think you're exaggerating the extent and impact of this.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was being facetious. The problem is the concept of heating water directly from the cold mains considering the provisioning of a domestic gas supply.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Directly heats the incoming DHW.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In general I don't think this will be such a restriction since 90%+ are installed in kitchens (IME) and the bulk of those are near the sink (so they can access the cold main and DHW pipe work. I'd reckon on at least

75% being straight forward to get a condensate drain connection.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not so. many flue face onto landing with overhangs from the landing above.

Reply to
IMM

This a multipoint heating potable water directly. This is a cheap to install system (multipoints can be had for £350) that eliminates boiler (or mutipoint) cycling and a good pressure shower and fills a bath zippo. The total cost of the main componenst is low:

- mutipoint

- 2-port valve

- flowswitch

- high head bronze pump (the only expensive item)

- cheap CH pump

- cyl stat(s)

- room stat

- 200 litre cylinder or thereabouts, part L, or above,

Most multipoint have simple mechanical controls with no electric and no electronic board. Chaffeteux made a similar CH boiler about 25 years ago. It was an adapted multipoint with temperature control. The Ascots never had temperature control, but some Main's did. The pump pressure opened a gas valve. No flow no gas, as in all multipoints. They had a 30,000 btu/hr model that was an adapted sink heater with a conventional flue adaptor on the top. They were used in flats. It was strange to see what looked like a small sink heater in a kitchen with a flue off the top and no swivel spout. They worked very well.

Reply to
IMM

As is the conventional water heater in the USA.

Reply to
IMM

The main heat exchanger. Go to the Worcester Bosch site, they have a piccie of one showing the heat exchanger.

Reply to
IMM

OK, so for people living in places like that, perhaps there may be a problem. However this is not the majority of housing and for the typical house it is not going to be an issue.

If you think it's a big deal, why don't you write to your friend jag+=2 and tell him about it - see whether he thinks it's a nuisance for his modest properties.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

remarkable,

I would say in London 10% of existing properties converted to condensers would give problems. That is a lot of homes.

< snip babbling >
Reply to
IMM

No multipoint I have ever seen fills a bath zippo unless you're talking about a bird bath.

.. and a lifetime of the rubber diaphragm of about 2 years max.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you seen a typical American water heater?

Complete junk.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. As described above.

Depends on the maker. Some are well made and condensing.

Reply to
IMM

Read the original explanation and draw it out. The bath would be filled by the cylinder, only the shower directly from the multipoint. The CH via a coil in the cylinder.

Reply to
IMM