Computer help to connect to internet

the other members could vote to expel the UK - unlikely but possible.

Reply to
charles

That didn't help Turnip much. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe a Swede would do better? ;-)

Reply to
Mark

how do the other countries who are members of nothing get by?

tim

Reply to
tim...

And thereby is the rub. Pretty well all countries now have trade agreements etc of one form or another with others. Making it likely a problem for the UK to form agreements with them which doesn't step on the toes of other existing members.

The simplistic view of how easy it was going to be to leave the EU is already in tatters. Irish border etc. Exactly the same will happen when trying to establish new trading partners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but few have them with just one other or even just one group.

Making it likely a

They all have multiple agreements.

No it will not.

Reply to
Sam

Ah well you see they are all benighted shithioles inhabited by WOGS. Thats what the average remoaner thinks, being a swivel eyed spittle flecked Little Europeaner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Something he shares with the vast majority of the desktop PC using population that don't even realise just how much they would lose going to it in this highly Windows centric world.

Just like the millions who don't want to do loads of things that you personally might find interesting or exciting then?

I am a (PC) 'hardware guy' but to make use of that hardware you need an OS of some sort.

Fact, it's often quicker and easier to install and update Linux (say Mint / Ubuntu) than it is to install Windows (say 7 or 10, depending on where you start media version wise (as with Linux of course) and how lucky you are re drivers etc.

The 'problems' for most ordinary people who just want a working solution start if 1) some hardware isn't easily Linux compatible or 2) they need some specific software that doesn't, or doesn't easily / fully run on Linux. Much of that can be avoided (eg, not bothering in the first place) if they have access to a 'Linux geek' ... and most people don't.

So, ignoring any other factors (potential security advantages of Linux ... if you are interested about it being 'free' (few are bothered about either meaning of 'free') or have *issues* with MS / Apple etc) or simply find a pre-installed Linux easier to manage than a pre-installed Windows, as long as it works for you, WG'sAF what OS anyone else runs / prefers?

OOI, I put my BIL onto Linux a few years ago now and apart from the few times updates have screwed things up for him (the last was Monday when it knocked his network printer out and I was able to fix it for him remotely ... *again*) he seems happier from a day to day basis because he doesn't have to also worry about security software. He also still has Windows dual-boot to run those things that are Windows only ... like many Linux users of course (be it via WINE or a VM).

It's not quite so easy when it goes wrong though because neither he nor I know anyone who is a Linux Geek and most PC support people / companies can deal with Windows (more relevant since they moved away).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup. Fact. Many Linux Fanboys are left brainers and / or don't have girlfriends (or wives). ;-)

'Was', so it's better now you mean, this decade ... It's something

*you* still *need* to use for those programs not directly supported on Linux though eh?

It's better than Linux (for non-geeks) because it's much more restricted hardware platform wise and so less likely to have the issues both Windows and Linux might. However, that's only as long as you keep your hardware up to date.

Only from your highly biased and left brainer POV.

Just how much effort do you think 'most people' feel they need or might be willing to put into something they don't actually need or want (or could actually make use of)?

To be willing to play with Linux (as that's all it is for a good few who are aware of it, like me) you first need to have jumped though all the hoops re getting some bootable media together (easy once you know how of course) and successfully boot and experience it on a PC that happens to be 'Linux friendly'. Once you have done that you can actually explore it and if you have the time / need / interest / patience you might then find out what it can do (from a Live instance).

With some positive results from the test above you might try to install it on a spare PC and that experience might be completely different. Assuming it installs and runs ok, then you may will find it has issues with your existing printer (and for some, not being able to print is a deal breaker), scanner or many other 'gadgets' that were plug and play on Windows (or at least came with Windows drivers and official support).

Assuming you can get past enough of that and still have something you can actually use, you then have to weigh up if a working Linux desktop system is actually any better than a working Windows (or OSX etc) desktop system? What if it's a shared PC and the grand kids want to do something that you can't do on Linux (even playing a game)?

Most of the instances where I have installed Linux for people as a potential 'trouble-free' alternative to Windows have later asked me to uninstalled for them to reclaim the disk space, not because of what it can do but because of what it can't. And it only needs one small thing for most people to not see the point of it ... ordinary / happy people with lives, partners and families especially. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

All of whom have been getting it spectacularly wrong for quite some time.

[typical remainer name-calling twaddle deleted]
Reply to
Tim Streater

Unless we have something unique to trade with them it will almost certainly step on the toes of an existing agreement they have. Certainly with large economies. Which we will need to replace the EU.

Which we also had even as part of the EU.

The Irish border wasn't even mentioned during the referendum. Or if it was in a very low key way. And there will be other similar things that will come out too.

Brexiteers want to turn the clock back. Sadly, they may succeed with the UK. But can't make the rest of the world do the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So your answer is to ignore experts and rely on those who work by a gut feeling. Just because experts may not always be 100% right.

Do you do the same with doctors when unwell?

Take your car to a holistic healer when it breaks down?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The *really* frightening thing is it seems that with some (here and elsewhere) there seems to be no price they aren't willing for *us all* to pay, as long as *they* are out of the EU, no matter what that actually turns out to mean in the end?

They would appear more credible to many if there was some consideration to there being 'a price too high' but there simply isn't.

I don't care if others want to gable but I object to funding them without some pretty good odds that it's likely to be a sure thing.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

These weren't a problem.

Yes, but that wasn?t a problem with the deal the EU has with Canada.

Most of what Britain exports like aircraft engines, documentaries, books, scotch and financial services will continue fine.

So no problem replacing them.

Sure, but will be worked out fine. Norway and Switzerland managed that, no reason why the UK can't do that too.

The Commonwealth will be very happy to do that.

Reply to
Sam

When they have got it so completely wrong so often, yes.

Rely on what happened with the eurozone.

Because they got it so completely wrong so often, so recently.

Reply to
Sam

And took years or decades to negotiate. Which we don't have.

Which took years to negotiate. Which we don't have.

Groundless assertion.

And will take years or decades to negotiate. Which we don't have.

Jesus Christ, I'm not reading any more of your dumb fantasies. Come back when you've grown a brain, will you?

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

and the UN

Reply to
Martin

I've had several so have my friends. You need to get out more.

Reply to
Martin

or just to abolish it.

Reply to