Completely OT - Joke for Andy Hall

Well true, but the point is that Waitrose and Asda usually stock different brands - and we tend to find that Waitrose tends to come closer to where we want to be on the price/quality curve.

... but I do agree that I don't care what sort of person uses the supermarket - it's all about the goods.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Alan Coren, bless him, said he liked Sainsburies because it kept the riff-raff out of Waitrose. Now that /was/ funny.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Just the smell of Netto is enough to put you off. Though I did brave it a while ago and get a very nice 24LED torch for a little over a fiver. I wonder if it'll come back safely from my son taking it to adventure camp.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Maxie, now that was funny. I do like tall stories!!! Maxie, you are a breath of fresh air.

Maxie in a frock up a tree:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, did you belly laugh at that? Fascinating.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I went into one of these some time ago and that was exactly my observation. I went to a Makro as well and that was the same. Whether this is a hygiene issue or stock rotation or ?? I have no idea, but the smell was stomach churning.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, I know what you mean. I went to Fortnum and Mason once and was appalled at the smell too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You'd be no good in an abattoir then.

Reply to
George

Same here.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

RIP :-(

But he'd have written "Sainsbury's".

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just as well he only said it, rather than wrote it, then...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You know that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No he wouldn't unless his command of written English was poor - which I doubt. There might be many Sainsbury owned stores close to where he lives but only one Waitrose. Same as here, really.

Sainsbury's is an adjective. Ie Sainsbury's bread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am sure you're right.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doubt it... went to an abattoir once, don't recall that it smelled particularly.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or my local Be here and Queue, while they try to find out why the barcode won't scan in.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well, if we're going to be pedantic (and it seems we are) then no, "Sainsbury's" is indeed the correct usage here as it's the name of the company, ie with the apostrophe.

Thus (gramatically) "Asda" = "Sainsbury's" = "Tesco" = "Waitrose"

David

[PS: But does that mean it's "Sainsbury's's bread?"]
Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Certainly is round here: Lidl is full of chattering Poles, and the chavs are in Asda

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't care. Asda is Asda Walmart, so they can FRO for starters.

Reply to
Andy Dingley