Completely off topic: Google StreetView

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Friday 12 March 2010 14:36

What was interesting when I looked at my house, is that the photo from the main road and the photo from the side road (I'm on the corner) were taken at massively different times - probably months apart. This seems weird as we are a tiny village so if Google sent the car around, I would have expected it to do all our roads in one go (there aren't that many).

Reply to
Tim Watts

They kept on Giles Lane, which is a public road. They didn't venture down Darwin Road, for instance (so you can't see my office).

And yes, they do still close University Road once a year.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And so is Darren, although he works there too. And Jules, and me, as you know.

The big new building on Giles Lane is Woolf College (graduate college) with a nice 476-seat lecture theatre. I teach in there every week at present.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not you too! .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

They did do university road though

D.M.Chapman

On a vaguely related topic...

I just travelled from London (St Pancras) to Faversham on the high speed train. I used Google Maps to check location along the way. Now, I know it isn't terribly accurate, but all the time I was in or near Stratford, it insisted I was already at Ebbs Fleet...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps there's a correlation betwen living in ratty student accomodation in Herne Bay/Whitstable and a subsequent interest in DIY?

(I still have some of the tools I bought then. And the paraffin heater I bought to keep my garret (literally) in Herne Bay warm - although it serves in the greenhouse now. I graduated in 1975.)

Reply to
Huge

Years actually. My area was done in 2008, which I can tell because it has my oldcar outside, which I changed in January 2009.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I was actually out in ratty student accomodation in Thannington one year ("Mars" as we used to call it), but then moved to ratty student accomodation in Whitstable the following year. Fond memories of the Old Neptune pub, and the cinema that used to have intermissions and serve beer, but other than that the place didn't exactly have a lot going for it.

In those days I was more into keeping friends' rustbucket student vehicles running than I was house DIY.

cheers

Jules (ex-Darwin)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

ukc.misc ... them were the days

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, mine was done pre Match 2009 (same reason). My friend two roads away says his was done some months later (his car is waiting to pull out of his drive, 'cos he saw the Streetview car coming).

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's dead now. They don't even know how to use Usenet, most of them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, that's it - also in the 'thumbnail' of Street View.

Reply to
PeterC

A road junction near me got moved; the Streetview goes round the bend to the new junction but the map (and the 'guideline' on Streetview) goes straight ahead

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Soon to die completely. UKC is one of the few UK academic sites still running a news service. I account for over 50% of it's use now :-(

A while back we got

:-(

Given our service is running on an old E250 on a desk in the bottom of the library it's dieing at the same time. Seems I can't persuade management that we need to replace it when I'm pretty much the only user ;-)

End of usenet service at UKC. *very* sad if you know the near 30 year history of it all....

and if you don't know the history of usenet at UKC, then these might be of interest :-)

D.M.Chapman

Well, I'm not surprised. I use it, but really only at home....as in, here!

Oh, I do! I was there....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can see my mum's hand as she sits in her chair reading the newspaper!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not for me: "I was working there ... checking out her plumbing ;-)"

Reply to
John Stumbles

My brother-in-law found his small yacht on his front drive AND on the river.

Reply to
Bob Martin

The address for me and some of my neighbours is "the address is approximate". The Post Office never got round to numbering our part of the road.

Sadly for me all that effort I put in last year to spread quarry waste on my drive was a bit too late. Could have been worse I suppose with a

20 ton pile waiting to be spread or me and a plate compactor (back on topic?) trying to finish it off a bit later on.
Reply to
Roger Chapman