Where to obtain paper/card for table lamps?

Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house down!

Cheers,

hanrahan398

I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if only he can find suitable material.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try Fred Aldous. The web site

has a lamp shade making section which lists the materials but is not very helpful on what they are.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Would it not be simpler just to go buy suitable lampshades to replace them .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

This is not the consumer ng, it's d.i.y.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll have a look, thanks for the start.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So you saying I'm not allowed to offer an easier alternative then .....you'd fit them yourself wouldn't you .??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Try a Artist/hobby shop preferably the larger stores.

To be honest I don't think its a special card? the light wattage has to be low when using card,so as to keep the heat at minimium.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

LOL! You're allowed to do anything you like :-)

It's not the same thing at all though. I've suggested that but he wants to do the manly thing. Since we have two or three to refurbish a length of appropriate stuff would keep him happy.

I've requested a catalogue from the company, it's not a nice site but there are some interesting items.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This brings up a vague memory of reading about fireproofing paper in a 1930s DIY book. A quick Google suggests that Sodium Silicate 'Waterglass' is the stuff you want - no idea where you get it from!

water glass or soluble glass, colorless, transparent, glasslike substance available commercially as a powder or as a transparent, viscous solution in water. Chemically it is sodium silicate , potassium silicate, or a mixture of these. It is prepared by fusing sodium or potassium carbonate with sand or by heating sodium or potassium hydroxide with sand under pressure. Water glass is very soluble in water, but the glassy solid dissolves slowly, even in boiling water. Water glass has adhesive properties and is fire resistant. It is used as a detergent; as a cement for glass, pottery, and stoneware; for fireproofing paper, wood, cement, and other substances; for fixing pigments in paintings and cloth printing; and for preserving eggs (it fills the pores in the eggshell, preventing entrance of air).

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

AmDram uses borax for backcloths, and a quick google on borax fireproof suggests it will also do for paper (see eg ) Probably easier to get hold of than waterglass.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

I got their catalogue this morning, thanks again.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher