Climate Change IPCC Prof on R4 today 09.00

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is the Beeb, so he is a she.
--
Terry Fields

I only heard the last few minutes on satellites monitoring the activity of the Sun. If it was mentioned, I missed any comment about any effect on global temperature.

--
Tim Lamb

It was earlier in the programme. I didn't hear the beginning, but I caught probably 2/3rds of it.
The interviewer did put to her that they'd had to revise down their heating estimate, and she said the error bars are large. He didn't then go on to point out we're already outside their error bars.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Oh FFS you pillock. Are women not permitted to rise to the top of their profession in FieldsWorld(tm)?
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

He's a she, you dolt.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:36:18 PM UTC+12, Tim Streater wrote:

400,000 years of ice core data show that the Earth's temperature fluctuates up and down in a major way about every 100,000 years. That was and is NOT caused by humans, but by the irregular orbit of the Earth around the Sun. Also see Milankovitch Cycles.
I've actually examined the Vostok ice core "Deuterium Concentrations and Temperature Reconstructions" data, Petit, J.R., et al., 2001, ...
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/icecore/antarctica/vostok/vostok_isotope.html ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/paleo/icecore/antarctica/vostok/readme_petit1999.txt ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/paleo/icecore/antarctica/vostok/deutnat.txt
... to get a ball-park idea if natural post ice-age warming really could be having an effect. The results are in the following spreadsheet ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/ClimateChange.xls
... but for the lazy are summarised below:
Muller's 259 year result Fraction of:    1/4                1/2                1 (259 yrs):    0.375            0.75            1.5 (annual):    0.001447876    0.002895753    0.005791506 # >:        2021            1353            581 Percentage:    61%            41%            18%
Muller's 60 year result Fraction of:    1/8            1/4            1/2            1 (60 yrs):    0.1125        0.225        0.45        0.9 (annual):    0.00188        0.0038        0.0075        0.015 # >:        1772        1037        368            83 Percentage:    54%        31%        11%        3%
So, while it is not impossible that all Muller et alia's results could be explained away by natural climate changes over the ice age cycle, the above ball-park analysis suggests that the probability of this is at best around 18%, much less if you look at the recent accelerated warming, 3%. However, it is entirely reasonable that a fraction of the observed changes could be due to this natural origin, perhaps around 1/8th.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 05:01:00 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:36:18 PM UTC+12, Tim Streater wrote:

Please tell us the name of this "proper scientist". I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:17:02 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

on R4

Might

Joanna Haigh, Professor of Atmospheric Physics at Imperial College, London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038xrj5
Bear in mind the format of The Life Scientific is biographical. The science they have done/doing is not discussed in any great detail. I find them sort of interesting but hard going.
Discovery and Science in Action on the BBC World Service are science programmes about the science, most of the time. The recent two parter about SARS was more "human interest" but still a good couple of programmes. Click (on the radio) is good for "tech". I've not listened to enough Health Check's to know what they are like. There is also a summary programme Science Hour that pulls the "best bits" from that four, not listened to that but as I regularly listen to all of them apart from Health Check it might be a bit repetative. B-)
Why are these interesting science programmes on the World Service and not Radio 4? Podcasts are great...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:18:17 AM UTC+12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I thought as much. She's just one of the relatively few climate alarmist sc ientists. Anyone who calls sceptics "deniers" is not worth reading or liste ning to, and nor is the BBC and IPCC. If the latter are to be quoted here, allow me to quote some of the views about Haigh:
http://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/misleading-statements-prof-joanna -haigh-attempts-to-fool-telegraph-readers-about-boris-johnsons-climate-view s/
http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2013/8/27/a-life-propagandic.html#co mments
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/12/21/haigh-anxiety-a-psycho-comedy-of-erro rs/
uk.d-i-y is full of practical people, some of whom are highly qualified and experienced in a wide range of areas. Most of us know how to read a thermo meter and record the readings, and not to change those readings later to su it our arguments, like the IPCC has done. Most of us have noticed that the sea level is not rising to a significant extent. Sure there are some Pacifi c atolls that are sinking as they have done for thousands of years, while t he coral keeps up with the sea level change.

Said like a true denier!
Jeez, will you look at this mess! Which bit of software is it these days that is leaving the text in so many usenet posts to be read wearisomely by sliding the horizontal scroll-bar back and forth?
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

[spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split with spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split with spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split with spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split with spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split with spurious intervening newlines]

[overlength line split]

[overlength line split] alarmist scientists. Anyone who calls sceptics "deniers" is not worth [overlength line split] reading or listening to, and nor is the BBC and IPCC. If the latter [overlength line split] are to be quoted here, allow me to quote some of the views about [overlength line split] Haigh:

[overlength line split]

[overlength line split] prof-joanna-haigh-attempts-to-fool-telegraph-readers-about-boris-
[overlength line split] johnsons-climate-views/

[overlength line split] propagandic.html#comments

[overlength line split] of-errors/

[overlength line split] qualified and experienced in a wide range of areas. Most of us know [overlength line split] how to read a thermometer and record the readings, and not to change [overlength line split] those readings later to suit our arguments, like the IPCC has done. [overlength line split] Most of us have noticed that the sea level is not rising to a [overlength line split] significant extent. Sure there are some Pacific atolls that are [overlength line split] sinking as they have done for thousands of years, while the coral [overlength line split] keeps up with the sea level change.
[overlength line split]
Now that I can read it, I see that it wasn't worth all that effort - usual unscientific climate change denials by those for whom it has become an 'alternative religion' - rather like the so-called druids who gather at Stonehenge every Summer Solstice and who claim to be part of a tradition going right back to pre-historic times, but in fact all the archaeological evidence suggests that they all gather there at the wrong, exactly opposite, time of year!
Oh, and BTW, you forgot to bring ley-lines into it somewhere.
If this seems a little cavalier and off-hand, there's a reason for that - there's nothing in any of those links that even deserves the compliment of anyone wasting their time to give a considered, scientific rebuttal.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:03:40 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Single line paragraphs have been about for a long time and decent clients wrap them to the window size as required. Long gone is the requirement for line termination sequences at intervals less than 80 chracters to prevent the teletype printing a black blob at the end of a line.
As to what is inserting the double line spacing: google groups.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I was wondering if they were coming from mobile phones, or something similar. It seems Agent can't cope with them at all. I'll have a look in the settings though.

That's almost as bad, because it strings out the content and makes it harder to connect one line or paragraph with the next.

I read some of them, none being particularly incisive, since they tended rather towards the knee-jerk. I don't think that you pointing us to them does your position any credit.
#Paul
On Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:52:20 AM UTC+12, snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net wrote:

My position? I don't think that uk.d-i-y is the place for climate propaganda. If people like Tim Streater start off topic non-archived discussions I reserve the right to call his view bollocks.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:23:47 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

It's not.
However, Tim was merely posting an alert to the programme itself, not purveying one particular view or other of climate science ...
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:36:18 +0100, Tim Streater

That is not propaganda.
However, if this group is not the place for climate propaganda, by implication it is equally not the place for anti-climate-scientist propaganda, so your posting links to such crap makes you a hypocrite.