Climate Change IPCC Prof on R4 today 09.00

"The Life Scientific", on this morning at 09.00 (after the news) on R4 is talking to an atmospheric science Prof who sits on the IPCC. Might be
interesting to see what a proper scientist has to say.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

Considering that part of the programme deals with her ability to deal with 'climate change deniers', so we can guess which way the programme leans - hardly surprising since the BBC adopted the policy of never presenting the case against MMCC.
--
Terry Fields

Terry Fields wrote:

Withing the first minute or so she says "the temperature is going up and up, although with a few wobbles'.
'Interest in CC is slipping' (among the public).
--
Terry Fields

I'm not sure that is entirely true, but I do know that David Bellamy has not been seen on TV since that program where he pointed out that the earth moves between hot and cold in cycles, ie look how many ice ages there has been, and although we are not helping, we cannot be the sole reason for the changes. Odd that innit?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Terry Fields" < snipped-for-privacy@thanks.invalid> wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

There was a secret conference, with no sceptics or deniers present, that made this decision. It finally leaked out, and showed that the BBC had spent a fortune trying to bury the information. The policy still stands, and this programme must be viewed in that light.
--
Terry Fields

But perhaps more truthfully in reply to Brian regarding David Bellamy's own career-breaking goof, he finally admitted to another academic that he had mistyped 5% as 55% (remembering that % is <Shift-5>). I don't have a link, but the academic to which it was revealed explained DB's error during a TV programme at least a decade ago.
Somehow I suspect that is more relevant than your conspiracy paranoia, which is well known to us here from your previous posts.
On 27 Aug 2013 08:24:24 GMT, Terry Fields

Java Jive wrote:
<top posting corrected>

So, there wasn't a secret conference that didn't conclude that the BBC shouldn't to beak its 'balance' requirement, for the first time ever, and then didn't spend lots of taxpayers money not trying to cover it up?
It's a bit different that a frigging typo, dimwit.
--
Terry Fields

Well, I don't know about that myself, but there is one fact taken from fossil records, we have all been here before as a planet, whether it be due to volcanoes or whatever, and thus the world survived that, but we were not around at the time, so surely with our oft over blown confidence, lets get down to mitigation whatever the reason. Why hide things?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Java Jive" < snipped-for-privacy@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
On 27/08/13 13:03, Brian Gaff wrote:

Money, Brian.
Qui bono?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Why have such a policy though. In reality, even if we have a small effect, its something we need to alter nonetheless to give us more time to adapt to the cycle. Just does not make any logical sense at all. Of course whatever the reason now we are going to get sea level rise and climate change and we need to plan ahead for that, but of course the world is notoriously bad at forward planning and keeping to deadlines. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Terry Fields" < snipped-for-privacy@thanks.invalid> wrote in message

For any public facing climate scientist, this would be a serious part of the job. The "climate debate" is pursued aggressively by partisans on all side, so in her role she will come under sustained attack on various fronts. Her "ability to deal with 'climate change deniers'" is a perfectly reasonable question, just as e.g. it would be perfectly reasonable to question a politician on how well they deal with (or are dealing with) attacks from the opposing parties.
I'm a physicist, and have dealt with the media on occasion. Since I'm not in a field which has any public controversy associated with it, I find that the reporters are interested in getting the story more or less right, and do not try to impose any outside agenda, even if they do like and/or fall for somewhat spurious connections to Harry Potter or similar. Nevertheless, even given this informal and relaxed interaction, even simple inquiries can take up a considerable amount of time (which I do not mind). But everything I say to the media about some piece of research is a translation from the actual science, and is necessarily approximate. Even if sometimes there can be a pretty good mapping between the science and the statement, there is no particular guarantee that the target audience will clearly understand very much about the actual research at the end of it - although hopefully they are left with a positive impression and something new learnt.
I dread to think how much preparation would be required in the contentious field of climate science, and of the public consquences of any accidental mis-phrasing of the answers I might give (or, for that matter their deliberate misrepresentation). Probably, I just wouldn't do it.
#Paul
snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net wrote:

Frankly speaking, I was appalled at the programme's makers. Most of what the interviewee was saying was about her scientific life, not necessarily defending any controversial view that that her scientific life might have been involved in, but a description of how she got where she has and what it meant to her. I feel that the programme's makers couldn't help larding in dismissive stuff about 'climate change deniers' where it simply wasn't needed and wasn't particularly relevant.
--
Terry Fields

I suppose I should listen to it myself, but I have to say I have found the "The Life Scientific" exceeding dull listening on the few occasions I've tried to pay attention.

Mmm. I'd suggest that a more likely scenario was that they thought it might attract more listeners if they played up a "controversy!" angle. After all, Harry Potter has little to do with the science of invisibilty cloaking, but they nevertheless drag HP in almost without exception - because it is the current popular invisibilty cliche, and attracts attention. Of course, us scientists also know the power of a fully operational Harry Potter reference. :-)
#Paul
On 27/08/2013 12:50, snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net wrote:

The fun bit is when you get a telephone call, out of the blue, from a national newspaper with about 20 minutes to deadline on a breaking story they need background on.
Colin Bignell

I had a bizarre one of those once. A national newspaper calling to ask if 4711 Cologne was a cure for arthritis. "Someone", and I suspect that was one of their own reporters, had been arrested for drunk driving on the M6 near Sheffield. When plod got to the car the driver was swigging from a litre bottle of cologne.
Plod suspected, correctly IMO, that he was trying to mask the reek of alcohol on his breath. He insisted that it was recommended by an osteopath as a cure for arthritis. Fortunately because it was medical I could decline to comment and passed it on to the registrar in the room next door. Listening to him laughing out loud was amusing.
Never saw the piece published which made me suspect that they were fishing for get-out clauses.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

The 8.30 trailer mentioned *climate change deniers* so I think you can guess.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

It mentioned how she *deals with CC deniers*.
She's also said that "The IPCC do a fantastic job" and 'works well'; also "there are large error bars" (in the models predictions).
--
Terry Fields

On 27/08/13 08:36, Tim Streater wrote:

he will say whatever allows him to keep his job.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Oh dear. He's a woman
On 27/08/13 09:41, stuart noble wrote:

shows how little I bothered to check what would be infinitely more predictable than the global climate.