Climate Change IPCC Prof on R4 today 09.00

"The Life Scientific", on this morning at 09.00 (after the news) on R4 is talking to an atmospheric science Prof who sits on the IPCC. Might be interesting to see what a proper scientist has to say.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Considering that part of the programme deals with her ability to deal with 'climate change deniers', so we can guess which way the programme leans - hardly surprising since the BBC adopted the policy of never presenting the case against MMCC.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Withing the first minute or so she says "the temperature is going up and up, although with a few wobbles'.

'Interest in CC is slipping' (among the public).

Reply to
Terry Fields

I'm not sure that is entirely true, but I do know that David Bellamy has not been seen on TV since that program where he pointed out that the earth moves between hot and cold in cycles, ie look how many ice ages there has been, and although we are not helping, we cannot be the sole reason for the changes. Odd that innit?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Tim Streater writes

The 8.30 trailer mentioned *climate change deniers* so I think you can guess.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There was a secret conference, with no sceptics or deniers present, that made this decision. It finally leaked out, and showed that the BBC had spent a fortune trying to bury the information. The policy still stands, and this programme must be viewed in that light.

Reply to
Terry Fields

It mentioned how she *deals with CC deniers*.

She's also said that "The IPCC do a fantastic job" and 'works well'; also "there are large error bars" (in the models predictions).

Reply to
Terry Fields

he will say whatever allows him to keep his job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. He's a woman

Reply to
stuart noble

This is the Beeb, so he is a she.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I only heard the last few minutes on satellites monitoring the activity of the Sun. If it was mentioned, I missed any comment about any effect on global temperature.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was earlier in the programme. I didn't hear the beginning, but I caught probably 2/3rds of it.

The interviewer did put to her that they'd had to revise down their heating estimate, and she said the error bars are large. He didn't then go on to point out we're already outside their error bars.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh FFS you pillock. Are women not permitted to rise to the top of their profession in FieldsWorld(tm)?

Reply to
Steve Firth

He's a she, you dolt.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But perhaps more truthfully in reply to Brian regarding David Bellamy's own career-breaking goof, he finally admitted to another academic that he had mistyped 5% as 55% (remembering that % is ). I don't have a link, but the academic to which it was revealed explained DB's error during a TV programme at least a decade ago.

Somehow I suspect that is more relevant than your c>

Reply to
Java Jive

shows how little I bothered to check what would be infinitely more predictable than the global climate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So, there wasn't a secret conference that didn't conclude that the BBC shouldn't to beak its 'balance' requirement, for the first time ever, and then didn't spend lots of taxpayers money not trying to cover it up?

It's a bit different that a frigging typo, dimwit.

Reply to
Terry Fields

For any public facing climate scientist, this would be a serious part of the job. The "climate debate" is pursued aggressively by partisans on all side, so in her role she will come under sustained attack on various fronts. Her "ability to deal with 'climate change deniers'" is a perfectly reasonable question, just as e.g. it would be perfectly reasonable to question a politician on how well they deal with (or are dealing with) attacks from the opposing parties.

I'm a physicist, and have dealt with the media on occasion. Since I'm not in a field which has any public controversy associated with it, I find that the reporters are interested in getting the story more or less right, and do not try to impose any outside agenda, even if they do like and/or fall for somewhat spurious connections to Harry Potter or similar. Nevertheless, even given this informal and relaxed interaction, even simple inquiries can take up a considerable amount of time (which I do not mind). But everything I say to the media about some piece of research is a translation from the actual science, and is necessarily approximate. Even if sometimes there can be a pretty good mapping between the science and the statement, there is no particular guarantee that the target audience will clearly understand very much about the actual research at the end of it - although hopefully they are left with a positive impression and something new learnt.

I dread to think how much preparation would be required in the contentious field of climate science, and of the public consquences of any accidental mis-phrasing of the answers I might give (or, for that matter their deliberate misrepresentation). Probably, I just wouldn't do it.

#Paul

Reply to
news13k

Why have such a policy though. In reality, even if we have a small effect, its something we need to alter nonetheless to give us more time to adapt to the cycle. Just does not make any logical sense at all. Of course whatever the reason now we are going to get sea level rise and climate change and we need to plan ahead for that, but of course the world is notoriously bad at forward planning and keeping to deadlines. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

400,000 years of ice core data show that the Earth's temperature fluctuates up and down in a major way about every 100,000 years. That was and is NOT caused by humans, but by the irregular orbit of the Earth around the Sun. Also see Milankovitch Cycles.
Reply to
Matty F