Builders and Reliability!

Got a builder whos done from work for us in the past. To be fair, he does a good job, and hes a nice guy but hes unreliable. And hes the most disorganised person I've ever seen - he just seems to turn up on a day and then decide what hes going to work on.

Hes a nightmare because he always wants payment part of the way through a job. Trouble is then he loses interest and its hassle to get him back.

He really wound me up this week when I was working away. He txt me to tell me the work would be done by the end of the week, so I do I mind paying him. So wife gave him a cheque before she went out on friday.

Of course, came home, its nowhere near being done. no explanation or anything. Not happy to say the least. If he doesn't show today, that cheque will be stopped.

Thing is we've got a lot of work planned with this fella (inc conservatory). This was just for facias and guttering and its taken over a week and caused this hassle.

Comments?

Reply to
paulfoel

Useless bastard. Get shot of him. This is a DIY forum so why not do just that?

Reply to
harryagain

On Tuesday 27 August 2013 07:29 paulfoel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Bit of a sticky wicket. Stage payments are reasonable, but the completion payment (that should be a significant fraction) must be held until all works are actually complete.

Stop the cheque, apologise for the misunderstanding and tell him it will be given on completion.

Don't touch him with a bargepole again.

There is no correlation between "quality of work" and "unpredictable". (ie you are not employing a prima donna who is somehow a genius).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Inclement weather?

I do know that a lot of tradesmen really do need to hire a manager, as being good at what you do is not the same as being reliable. Not crooks but just as you say, incapable of running to a realistic schedule. The knack is to not take on jobs you cannot do in the time, as to do that means you flit from one to another and get in an awful mess and piss off everybody equally. Up the prices take less jobs and pace yourself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Find someone else.

In the case of staged payments, you must agree what the stages and payment proportion are up front. There must always be enough payment outstanding to use to get another builder to finish the job, and the last payment mustn't be until the whole job is finished, site tidied, etc. You can't do staged payments if you aren't there to inspect the work and don't trust the builder - the outcome is all too obvious.

Another option for staged payments is to have someone else work for you (architect or surveyer) who inspects and decides when the payments will be made. My parents did this for a loft extension, and it was the architect who decided when staged payments were due, each time after inspecting the work. The last payment was actually 6 months after completion, to allow for snagging fixes. Builders were fine with this (and did a really good job). The schedule also included late completion penalties, and the builders were actually late finishing, but my parents chose not to invoke the penalty because they considered the builders to have done a very good job and there wasn't any slacking.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The classic case is plumbers who IME are *always* late. The simple reason is usually that everywhere they go there's a new can of worms, and no amount of management will change that

Reply to
stuart noble

Any decent builder ought to be as that outlines the "Minor Works Building Contract". This lays down who is responsible for what, insurance liabilites, site handovers, payment schedule, retention amount/period etc, etc.

Much better than "Yeah I can do that, should be about £1000. Start next Wednesday?"

The latter might be OK for a couple of days work laying a patio or buildinga deck but anything that needs planning or design, like a loft conversion/conservatory/extension, really ought to have such a contract.

As to the OP, the work hasn't been done. Stop the cheque (note that may well generate a bank charge(s), once for stopping it and possibly again for bouncing it, banks...). Contact him to tell him the cheque has been stopped an explain why, also tell him that his general disorganisation has cost him the contract for the other works/conservatory (assuming you can still get out of that). It might just give him the boot up the backside to get better organised. You of course have to find another good builder...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Staged payments to a small builder are fine - to cover materials and even wages. But make sure they don't give him his profit. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stubbs or O'Reilly ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This seems to be endemic among builders. I have a fellow who's worked for me off and on for the past several years. Nice bloke, does a good job, but REALLY disorganised - little forward planning. Also sometimes fails to turn up when promised.

I suspect that when he commits to things he genuinely intends to do them but 'something crops up' and his attention is diverted. If I had carried on like that in my business life I'd have been out of a job long ago. But as I say it seems endemic among jobbing builders.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Problem is the next job pressing him to start. If he doesn't, they might get someone else in. Not so easy if a start has been made. Hence if your job has over-run even slightly...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine usually isn't.

But then, he is German.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Invoices are invoices and must be paid without question! What is your name?

Reply to
Steve Firth

But 19% VAT. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

:-) Maybe the OP has a Gnome yo insert.

Reply to
ARW

Don't tell him Pike....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've been waiting ages for that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm here all week.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I tried the chicken, it wasn't very good.

Reply to
Steve Firth