Porches on Victorian terraces

Have you put a porch on the front of your victorian terraced house?

If so, what the absolute f*ck were you thinking?? They look vile, serve no earthly purpose except to turn the entrance to your home into a dumping gro und for tatty old s**te, and have devalued your house by at least the amoun t you gave to the builder. If you let him put plastic doors and windows in the bastard thing, or attempted to cobble it together yourself, then you ca n double it.

Good day to you.

Reply to
Anita Palley

earthly purpose except to turn the entrance to your home into a dumping ground for tatty old s**te,

and have devalued your house by at least the amount you gave to the builder. If you let him put plastic doors and windows in the bastard thing, or attempted to cobble it together yourself, then you can double it.

A interesting post, and one that I'm sure will generate discussion.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh, did someone upset him? Actually round here the local council seems to declare areas as conservation areas with gay abandon and then you can't do much to change the look at all or so it seems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do remember not to park your none victorian car outside as they make the house look shabby and devalue the area.

Reply to
dennis

Odd, I didn't get the original post. Maybe Individual.NET thought it was spam.

Reply to
Andrew May

Unless of course you *are* the local council, then plastic windows and solar panels will get added on in the name of environmental cuddlyness.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There's something funny with individual.net. On another thread I complained of not seeing some posts. I was using news server nntp.aioe.org. Someone replied saying the missing posts were using individual.net, and asked me if I could see another person who used individual.net. I couldn't, so I have now changed my news server to freenews.netfront.net, which reveals the missing posts.

Reply to
Dave W

One of the interesting aspects of being in a consevration area is that the clock gets stopped at the point where the conservation area is declared. Ironically, therefore, it becomes necessary to obtain planning permission to rectify the aberrations of the lowest points of building that have been visited on a victorian house.

On the original topic, though, I wonder if the O P extends that criticism to victorian porches or designs that follow them? I'd certainly consider adding one (in an appropriate style) if it weren't for the pain of (probably not) getting past the planning Stasi. I doubt I would get very far, even though I would propose something far more in keeping with the house than others in my road have. Ironically, my neighbour has to keep maintaining his abomination to save having to apply for planning eprmission to change or demolish it.

Reply to
GMM

Many thanks Bill. I think it's very much a vital issue. No one seems interested enough to post anything here though, it would seem.

Reply to
Anita Palley

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Do many people put porches on their Victorian terraced houses?

Please link to street view images and give examples.

Reply to
ARW

Here are four in a row if this is the sort of thing that is meant:

Dave Newt

I've got a sort of 'open porch' arrangement that's very handy, but that was from new. Some people, though:

RJH

Now that is interesting.

The ex lives within 300m of that link.

Reply to
ARW

As do I.

:-)

Reply to
RJH

I'd call those small conservatories rather than porches.

Reply to
John Williamson

If it's something that's structurally and cosmetically part of the bay window it looks perfectly ok. There's a few decent ones near me. This is a particularly good example:

The above examples are perfect examples of ones that aren't. There's one particularly bad one round the corner from me where the door faces into the garden instead of the path.

JGH

Reply to
jgh