How do I plant on the slope without making real terraces?

The place of my garden is such that I can not make it in the real terraces. Garden will be in the front yard. Nothing big, because it will look bad for our neighbourhood association and they will bug me. I do not want that.

Can I just somehow make a small horisontal place for each plant from dirt.? How do I make it stay and not be washed away after watering? What can I do withou spending a lot of money for bricks, etc,etc,etc. And at the same time not to spend too much time building some kind of boxes for each plant?

Can branches I will cut from the trees to come up with something that will keep place a horisontal, and not too loose organic matter fast? The slope is not really very steep. I say not even 45 degrees.

Reply to
Mark

Grow bags might be the answer for you. These are bags filled with high quality soil. You cut a hole on the upper side and stick your seedlings in it.

Google returns several hits on '"grow bag" tomato', leave the double quotes in the search. One URL is:

-- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a

Reply to
Jim Carter

I would try to use low ground covers, creepers, ornamental grasses and small shrubs with fibrous roots that will stabilise the slope. Once they establish you can afford to start improving the soil with bulk manure, compost etc and allow the roots to run through it stabilising as you go. This avoids the situation where you plonk a lot of loose material down and the next heavy shower moves it all down the hill. Once the soil is suitable you can probably hit the right combination of covers to shade out grass and weeds so that you don't have too much maintenance. You will need to choose plants suitable for your area of course. Using plants to stabilise will probably be much cheaper than bricks and other construction.

Also you can do sort of mini terraces (they probably have a specific name but I don't know it) by digging into the bank a little, adding some extra compost etc and partially levelling a small area, say 3-4 ft wide and 2-3ft upslope. This will accommodate a larger shrub or small tree (choose those with spreading root systems) and not become a point of erosion unless you dig it too deep. We are aiming at pock marks here not craters. You do these semi-randomly not too close together, maybe with a narrow pathway between them running across slope.

You work across slope and lay stuff across slope (branches are good) to slow the water down and prevent gullys from forming. If there is a catchment area at the top of the slope ( a paved yard, driveway or your house roof water) you may need to put in some drainage from there to the street, or make sure what is there works properly, to prevent the excess water ripping through your garden.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott