What cucumber is this?

My brother bought a four inch pot with two cucumber plants in it at Home Depot. They were supposed to be "Lemon" cucumbers. They are not. Can anyone take a look at the pictures of the cucumber fruit and tell me what they are? (The ruler is marked in inches.)

Daniel Prince

it's a gherkin (pickling cuke). I plant those for slicing because they produce early, and I like the taste.

Reply to
simy1

In NJ they call them Kirby's. Also used for pickles and seem to be burpless in our house.

Betsyb

Reply to
betsyb

Thank you "betsyb" and "simy1"for your reply. I thought it might be a gherkin but when I looked a pictures of gherkins on Google images search, what I found looked very different. Apparently what we call a gherkin is not a true gherkin which is a different genus.

How big should I let it get before I pick it?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I would wait till they get to be 4-6 inches no bigger if you want them for pickles. They are great in salads too.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

What is the best size for use in salads?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I pick them at 5-6 inches.

Reply to
simy1

The best size depends on the variety. Some mature much smaller than others.

Pick one when it reaches 6". Slice into coins and look at the seed size.

If the seeds are well developed (non-existent), then pick sooner (later) next time..

Reply to
TQ

6 Incehs is fine but smaller if none are ready
Reply to
betsyb