What kind of squash is this?

Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is this? It is a volunteer.

?image=pict0952as9.jpg

Reply to
Daniel Prince

orange or yellowish-green meat?

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I think it might be some sort of Cucurbita maxima squash. If so, its stem would look more rounded and not so obviously five-sided. The blossom end might have a bit of a 'button' on it.

C. maxima squashes include hubbard, buttercup, turk's turban and kabocha types as well as some varieties that are marketed as 'pumpkins' (including 'white' pumpkins and the Aussie 'blue' pumpkins).

Cushaws, which the other poster mentioned, have a stem end with five sides and very often the fruit is 'necked' like a butternut. They generally have a flat, smooth blossom end scar.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

If it is a volunteer, what squashes did you plant in that area last year? We have had some very interesting squash from the ones that got tossed in previous years.

Reply to
The Cook

Has anyone considered that the squash leaves appear very like it could be a melon? Birds are great for planting volunteers.

Reply to
bop_pa