Clear Plastic - surface scratches

Does anyone out there have the solution to removing surface scratches on

4mm clear plastic?. I have tried using plastic, glass and even metal cleaner, without success
Reply to
Albatross

Try using a fine grinding paste "toothepaste perhaps?" and then Brasso in a circular motion.

It does work but you have to keep at it. :-(

Reply to
George

Hi,

Google for PlastX, haven't used the stuff but would give it a try.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

It depends a lot on the plastic. Acrylic (Perspex, Lucite) is easy. Polycarbonate or ABS aren't too bad either. Some of the others are much more awkward.

I'd recommend "Micromesh" abrasives, but they're not cheap. You can often buy small mixed-grit kits, just for removing scratches from expensive clear plastic canopies. CSM abrasives are my favoured supplier for all such things, but even pilot shops like Transair have these kits.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Anyone got a DIY method of polishing plastic (polycarbonate?) spectacle lenses?

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks for that Pete

Reply to
Albatross

Thanks Andy, much appreciated

Reply to
Albatross

Pilot shops, like Transair at Shoreham Airport, usually sell kits for getting scratches out of aircraft canopies.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have used cerium oxide (a very fine powder) for polishing scratches out of windscreens and windows. It takes hours but does work. I imagine it might polish plastic OK. Don't breathe in the powder.

Reply to
Matty F

That's what you need for glass, but you can get away with simpler and cheaper abrasives on plastics.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How did you do this ? I ask because I have a supply of cerium oxide - and a couple of fairly noticeable scratches on the inside of the windscreen on my '64 Moggie Traveller (apparently caused by a diamond engagement ring, as the wearer 'demisted' the windscreen !)

Can't decide whether to keep the scratches as a 'feature' - or try taking them out by polishing.....

...did you use any mechanical assistance - or just elbow grease ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Novus is pretty good, popular for cleaning pinball playfields, Paddy Hopkirk used to import it for cleaning cabrio hoods.

price appears to be Ebay at moment.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby