Clear Plastic Hurricane Shutters

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

Reply to
boatdrinks

boatdrinks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I Googled "clear storm huricane panels" and got a lot of sites.

Jim Yanik

These them?

hth,

tom @

Just Joshin

I appreciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone knew about the specific brand being sold by CostCo. The "Clear Storm" brand.

Reply to
boatdrinks

Ahh..... I thought these guys made it? Click on their products link to be sure.

tom

Reply to
Just Joshin

boatdrinks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Google turns up lots of info on this brand of shutter.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

polycarbonatehurricanecorrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the

You do not say where you are located. In Florida there are two sites where you can view the engineering data for all "approved" products:

There are 2 or 3 different lexan panels on the market that I'm aware of. Several sell these lexan panels under different names.

If you're in Florida, most areas require a building permit to install shutters, one of the steps to get a permit is to submit one of the 'approvals' from above.

Note that lexan panels have a higher deflection than the corresponding metal panels. This should be considered depending on the local code requirements and your comfort level with the glass breaking behind the panel.

Reply to
MJ