Cavity Wall Insulation -> Advice?

Hi,

I've been told by our local council that by taking advantage of a grant I can have our 3 bed semi treated and it will cost me £175. I've had a surveyor from their agent round to inspect the property but unfortunately I wasn't here to question a comment he made about the conservatory. Apparently, in order to treat the wall above, they will have to use scaffolding, or "barrier off the area". If I go for the former option it will cost me an extra £235. I'm seeking advice as to the pros and cons of either option - it's a lot extra to pay.

Cheers all,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Hooper

I suspect that the issue is that health and safety legislation applies for the installers of the material and their wellbeing has to be protected, or it is possible that they have to look after your wellbeing.

However, the exercise is so worth doing that even if your total is £400 it is going to give good value for money.

To give you an idea, the heat loss through your outside walls will drop by a factor between 2 and 3 and at present, depending on the rest of the construction of the house, this could be anything up to half of the heat loss of the building. So it wouldn't be impossible to save

25% or more of your total heat loss, possibly a bit more. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy, I think IMM should be answering this one (in between numbering bricks for Simon)

Reply to
bystander

Oh please. I don't think the OP wanted to dismantle and number his conservatory piece by piece.... ;)

PoP

PoP

"PoP" wrote | "bystander" wrote: | >Andy, I think IMM should be answering this one | >(in between numbering bricks for Simon) | Oh please. I don't think the OP wanted to dismantle and | number his conservatory piece by piece.... ;)

If, however, the conservatory is one in which the glass is simply clipped in using some patent glazing method, and can be easily de-clipped and re-clipped, it may be a very easy method of "removing" the conservatory so the foam people can shin up their stepladder through the ribs of the conservatory frame with no worries about broken glass etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Shh. I'm hoping he won't notice the thread, then life will be nice and simple.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , PoP writes

Why can't they do the wall above the conservatory from the inside ?. They only drill 1" holes every metre. Just hold a good vacuum cleaner near the drill bit. Making good after won't be difficult. It was the best money I spent, and the real benefit is to be had on 70's properties where the joists are (badly) built into the inner leaf. The draughts coming through used to almost lift up the upstairs carpets. Make sure your pointing is free of defects just in case. And if you live in an area that is exposed to driving wind/rain then this is the only situation where you take expert advice (not that people here don't know all the pitfalls).

Reply to
Andrew

OH David and Andy are at it again. Mr Bystander is now going to be my shadow. Do you dream of me in bed? Must do!

Reply to
IMM

Why not. It may be cheaper.

Reply to
IMM

Exactly! and number the glass so you don't get it mixed up.

Reply to
IMM

How much did you save on bills?

Reply to
IMM

Not sure about "nice", but if IMM is involved then "simple" would be satisfied :)

PoP

PoP

Our painter is giving an informed comment. How nice.

Reply to
IMM

Errrr, not from Barcelona are you?

Reply to
bystander

Andy you will have to stop all this..

Reply to
IMM

What are you talking about?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Now Andy?

Reply to
IMM

Do as much as you can as cheaply as possible.

It makes a huge difference.

I'd say on cost benefit its worth doing, but even if you left out a tricky bit, still do tehrest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The obviuous way to cavity wall insulate IS to take down half the wall, numbering each brick, insulate and rebuild...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is!

Reply to