Circular Saw q

How on earth would you rip a 10 ft length of timber without standing behind it? You need to *push* the bloody thing

That is bordering on the loony. How far does your sliding table travel exactly? It sounds like you've never set foot in a woodworking shop

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Unless you have 10' reach, how *would* you be able to stand behind it? If I am rip cutting a long plank etc, then by necessity (and desire) I am standing left of the saw, and out of direct line of the blade plane.

Reply to
John Rumm

We must be talking at cross purposes here. You push the plank into the blade from 10 feet away. You don't need to reach anything

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Indeed, I was talking about a hand held circular saw, not a table saw.

Having said that, same logic applies, there is no need to keep your body in line with the blade even if you need to manually feed stock into the machine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ideally you should be pushing from the centre of the workpiece which, with narrow stuff, is pretty much in line with the blade. Standing to one side makes it difficult to apply sustained pressure and increases the likelihood of kickback

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You introduced the idea of a 3m length of timber.

However, if one were to need to machine that, it's still possible to stand to the side. It's also possible to use a power feeder to feed material in conjunction with a rip fence.

For example

No it isn't.

Take a look at

Series 700.

Then take a look at

see how a slider is used with material clamped to it

Does it sound that way to you? If it does, then you would be wrong.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No you don't.

That's asking for a 4 hour wait in an NHS A&E.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How have you managed to make a perfectly simple operation on any sawbench so complicated? I'm well aware of the machinery available for factory production lines, but it has no relevance to d-i-y

I don't count woodworking exhibitions.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have done this literally thousands of times over the years without incident. It's standard procedure for ripping on a sawbench. Get someone to show you how to use that expensive machinery of yours. What would be the point of a sawbench at all if you couldn't rip a plank without buying a shed load of accessories? You're probably more interested in the latter anyway.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I haven't. You asked how it would be possible to rip a long length of timber without standing behind it.

I gave you two ways to do that - one involving a power feeder and the other involving clamping the material to a sliding table.

Both are quite easy to do.

With the power feeder, the rollers are set up to be either side of the blade with the body of the feeder slightly toed in towards the fence. This forces the material against the rip fence as it is run through. The operator can stand to the side.

With the slider, the material aligned using parallel stops and is clamped to the sliding table using toggle or pneumatic clamps and run past the blade. It's a simple operation to set up and do and again the operator can again stand at the side.

Of course it does. It depends on which DIY things one is doing. There is no need to limit the vision of what DIY comprises.

Neither would I. I use both methods in my workshop regularly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then you are lucky unless you have set the fence and blade *very* carefully and have proper infeed and outfeed support.

If you need to stand in a position of risk, there is something wrong.

No need, already done.

There wouldn't be, but that does not excuse taking stupid risks by encouraging kickback and standing in the way of the projectile.

I'm interested in working accurately and safely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Way, way OTT for d-i-y. Needless expense for a very simple task

AS I said, how far does your sliding table extend? Useless for ripping a plank that exceeds that distance.

You have indeed pushed the boundaries in that respect, one might say beyond what anyone in their right mind would recognise as d-i-y

And I take the wife to the supermarket in an articulated lorry. It's 93% safer you know.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You don't need infeed support. That's you, the operator, you are the infeed support. You're holding the bloody thing! Outfeed support is commonsense, as is setting the fence and blade (although if either needs frequent adjustment, I'd get yourself a better saw).

It's not a position of risk if you're feeding the timber steadily and sensibly. Even if it were, there is no other way to do it. How do you think they're used?

Then perhaps you need to overcome your irrational fear of kickback. You have to be doing something pretty damned stupid for it to happen at all, and it isn't a sudden thing. You invariably get advance warning from the sound of the motor, so you...stop pushing. What you don't do is let go of the material.

So, hang on. Does that mean a sawbench without a power feed is useless? Why do people buy them then? What could you possibly use them for? This is just too silly.

, but that does not excuse taking stupid risks by

I've never had to deal with a projectile, other than those I engineered. If you're ripping small stuff, you can have the saw throw the workpieces back across the room into a suitable container to save time. Incredibly accurate and very predictable. That's cabinet making for you.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Again you are getting confused about what DIY is. It is not simply a means to do a limited range of tasks in the cheapest possible way regardless of the outcome. There is a much larger scope than that and so to suggest that something is "OTT for d-i-y" is a meaningless statement.

I already gave you the specs.

Obviously. For that purpose, a power feeder can be used and I explained that as well.

You are simply thinking with limited scope.

I see. Is she aware that you have revealed this? Don't order a Hiab for it, or you'll really piss her off.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You may do.

It rather depends on how large the material is in relation to the table area.

With common sense, according to basic principles of safety and with care.

One should never become over confident or careless with machinery. That is when accidents happen.

No, and I haven't said that it is.

Feeding material in an unsafe manner, without proper support is asking for trouble.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks, Andy. What would we do without you?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Spending hours sitting in A&E at your local 3rd world hospital, I would imagine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And no broadband in the waiting room.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Exactly, although if they figured out that they could make money on it, it might well follow.

GPRS would be an alternative, except that most hospitals don't permit the use of GSM devices on the pretext that it "affects hospital equipment".

Of course if you are sitting nursing your nuts because you stood behind a piece of timber that had been kicked out by incorrect use of a saw table, you may not be quite so enthused about Usenet reading and posting.

Reply to
Andy Hall

with only an Argos catalogue to read

Owain