chrome bottle traps

Hello,

I have fitted a chrome plated bottle trap to the basin in our "cloakroom". It's the model from Screwfix (10004). It comes with about a foot of pipe but I could do with it being a bit longer: say 18 inches because the basin is that far from the wall (I'm running the pipe horizonatlly along the wall, rather than into the wall). I have tried a couple of plumbers' merchants in the Yellow pages but got nowhere. Can anyone suggest where I might buy a longer pipe from?

The other problem I have is that the pipe seems to be flared. I understand that plastic pipe is thicker and is 35mm in diameter, whereas the (plated) copper pipe is 32mm. The pipe seems is smaller (I guess 32mm) at the trap and flares to a wider (35mm ?) at the end, so that it will join plastic waste pipe.

I have seen photos of other makes (which were more expensive), which appear to have the same diameter all along their length. I presume this is 35mm all along. I don't know why the Screwfix one isn't like this. I think finding flared pipe will be much more difficult unless I use a universal compression coupling out of sight somewhere.

Help!

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

When I did the same in my house, replacing the builder fitted plastic waste pipe in downstairs loo, I ended up having to buy 3m of 32mm chome pipe for £24 I think. I also moved and replaced the dowpipe as well, the 32mm chrome copper fits into 32mm pushfit at floor level. Also got a 32mm chrome elbow (90°) for £20 odd so all visible pipework is chrome. "Looks the biz..."

Had a few issues getting the chrome bottle trap to stay tight, the chrome bits seemed to slide to easily so ended up using smears of Fernox LS-X (?) to stop things moving. Been in place for years now.

Biggest issue was has to embed some 32mm pipe in concrete floor and there was a bit of steel reinforcing mesh right next to 110mm waste pipe which was a bugger to cut.

I think it all came from PTS Plumbing Trade Supplies, Eastleugh, not too sure as I was given their number by local plumbers merchant, ordered by phone and colelcted by wife.

I still have about 2m of 32mm chrome pipe if you are near Eastleigh and wish to make an offer.......

Reply to
Ian_m

I'm in Staffordshire; will you post ;)

Reply to
Fred

Over 2m long and heavy so I am afraid no. I am sure you must be able to get

32mm chrome pipe locally. I found a few places advertisiing online as well, though P&P was steep.

Ian

Reply to
Ian_m

I seem to recall that most couriers will not take anything over 1.8 metres long, which was a real pain when I wanted to post some curtain poles. I phoned around some plumbers merchants but only one could get hold of the stuff and I have to buy 3 metres, just like you had to. Oh well. BTW who did you find selling it online? Thanks.

Reply to
Fred