cheapest useful outdoor laser lavel

no massive working distance required. 5-10m ?

Reply to
fred

I don't know about green £££ lasers, but with a red one not much chance beyond about 3 metres in daylight, unless you like working at twilight (or willing to buy a laser receiver, in which case make sure your laser has a pulsed mode).

Reply to
Andy Burns

It happens that fred formulated :

A cheap red on will work outside, but at dusk.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I find red OK if you use a white target.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have my grandfather's Cowley level, and I know how to use it :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've just checked my Bosch Quigo self levelling green laser device outdoors

With a white card as the "detector" I could just about see the line at around 6 to 7 metres. Without the white card I could just about see the line at 4 to 5 metres on my hand. This was at mid-day - bright overcast sky.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m

Do you mean outdoor as in waterproof, or outdoor as in seeing it in full sunlight?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Slightly sideways.. have you considered a *water level*. As used by the Egyptians:-)

Use requires a bit of care but they have benefits not available to lazers. Firstly, you don't require line of sight. Secondly, they don't need initial levelling.

I see Screwfix have a kit for £17. Don't leave water in the pipe for years as mine grew fungus.

With the cap on the hand held end and *off* at the reference station, you can move to your measure point, remove the cap and adjust the gauge height to the level mark.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thank you Alan. Informative and useful

Reply to
fred

Tried a water level once for hinges on gate hanging. Useless as I hadn't spotted the bubble :-(

Reply to
fred

Outdoor as in visible in sunlight

Reply to
fred

That's going to need a very powerful laser. With the associated H&S problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News