Cheap and basic kitchen units

I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Thanks,

P.

Reply to
Paul Ockenden

"Tombloke" wrote

Looked at their website before posting, but couldn't see any cheap all-in-one kits (inc. plinths and door handles) like B&Q used to sell.

Could you point me to the relevant page?

P.

Reply to
Paul Ockenden

Howdens, but you need an account. Most of their stuff is preassembled, but they do a small range of cheapo flat pack stuff (can't remember what it's called - might be something like technik)

Otherwise find a local replacement kitchen door company. They usually also do cheap flatpack carcasses, and will do a cheap mdf door, or for really cheap, get a sheet of 18mm MDF cut to the right door sizes at B+Q (remembering to knock 5mm off the nominal dimensions to allow for opening) Works out at about =A33 per door.

auctions

Paul Ockenden formulated on Saturday :

Is there a kitchen unit manufacturer near to you, they often have a factory outlet where you can pick up end of line/ slightly damaged stuff really cheap and sometimes you can leave an order with them until something suitable turns up.

We got a complete base, sink, taps and fittings all in for £100 a few weeks ago - good enough for the utility room we needed it for.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

i know those old b & q units well. b&q stopped sellin them a while ago due to customer complaints. Focus do-it-all are the only people selling such poor units these days although not at every store. Id advise a basic Wickes one though, a bit more expensive but will last more than a few months

Reply to
kitchenwizard

Yes that, the one: fitted some myself only last week. I don't know if MFI do an equivalent, given that they are are the retail outlet of the same company as Howdens? (IMHO it's not that hard to blag a trade account at Howden's although probably not worth it for a one-off... alternatively if you know anyone (tradesman?) with an account they might be readily persuaded to order for you, given that their individual discounts are dependent on overall order volume.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's odd, Wickes still list their basic takeaway kitchens on their website

They do them mail order as well.

HLAH

Try

England only.

Not plain laminated chipboard white but plain colours and quite cheap.

DG

Reply to
Derek

Why pay? Freecycle. If matching is a must, replace all the handles & spray the doors.

NT

Reply to
meow2222