Cheap/Best place for cupboard cacases..

I know - cheap & best don't always go together, but I'm after some basic kitchen cupboard type carcases - this is to fit-out a utility room so it's not a posh shiny kitchen, just needs to be functional and robust.

We have B&Q & Homebase close to us (well under 20 miles) which I'll have a look at through the week, but after any online suggestions.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Is an IKEA in range? I've used their stuff to fit out my workshop/utility room. It's a lot better than B&Q.

Reply to
charles

ask for someones cast offs on free cycle (or whatever it's called now)

tim

Reply to
tim......

I've found B&Q stuff OK in the past, although I have also used Wickes. These are both "standard" sizes, not sure about IKEA

Reply to
newshound

Cast-offs may date from the time when the chipboard went down to the ground. If you *do* get these I would strongly recommend cutting the bottoms off and adding some "modern" adjustable feet. These make the units much more robust against damp floors, washing machine leaks, etc.

Reply to
newshound

I know that the OP was asking only about carcases, but watch the doors with B&Q stuff. The ones we bought turned out to be moulded MDF [1] with a plastic shell lam'd on. Only a couple of years on some had "blown" in the centres and were lifting at the edges.

[1] Nothing wrong with that in principle but, in normal use, it should never be revealed to be the case.
Reply to
Apellation Controlee

I have used Wickes recently - they were ok. Ikea get good reports usually - they used to be slightly different in that the backs were right at the back with no void space for pipes - not sure if that is still the case.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not much in it pricewise IIRC. If B&Q are down the road, I'd go there.

Reply to
stuart noble

Interstingly the doors in our current kitchen cabinets are just that - MDF that's been routed out then covered in some laminate/vinyl - and 10 years on they're still OK. Maybe we were just lucky at the time!

Nearest Ikea is about 2 hours away )-:

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

There's a big difference between cheap MDF+laminate and good stuff. The cheap stuff can fall apart in months.

Personally I'd avoid B&Q and Homebase. I haven't had any direct experience though. Wickes is better IMHO.

Luxury ;-)

Reply to
Mark

I used these people when I did my utility room:

They do custom sizes so I was able to make best use of the available space.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

Just fitted a load of standard BQ units - seem fine. Laminate a bit thin. I got the doors from ebay - 14 solid oak less than £50

Reply to
RJH