New Kitchen - which 'sheds' are best

A new kitchen is being planned and looking around much of the carcasses seem similar. Around us we have Wickes, B&Q, Homebase and Howarth Timber.
Howarth seem marginally better but does anyone have any views overall please?
--
Ermin

According to the Which? report (yes, I know): https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/fitted-kitchens/article/best-kitchen-brands/best-and-worst-kitchen-brands scores out of 5 for quality and durability of cupboards:
DIY Kitchens: N/A Ikea: 5, 5 John Lewis: 5, 5 Howdens: 5, 4 Independents: 5, 5 Magnet: 4, 4 Wickes: 4, 4 Benchmarx: 4, 4 B&Q: 3, 3 Homebase: 3, 3 Wren: 4, 3
Theo
Interestingly local shops suggest Wicks or wren. Brian
--
----- --
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:57:25 +0100, Theo wrote:

haha!
Thanks Theo and all others who have replied. I'll have a closer look at the local ones in the light of what has been said.
--
Ermin

On 13/09/2018 16:59, Ermin wrote:

diy-kitchens.com/
Not flat pack rubbish.

but it isn't just, about that is it
Most fitters will tell you not to buy Ikea because they are hard to fit (not having a void at the back for pipe work, I understand)
and when I looked at the choices in the Benchmarx catalogue, I thought "is that it!" and put it in the bin.
and have you seen the joke prices of appliances at Magnet?
tim

tims_new snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I have a namesake who is a kitchen fitter. He tried to get the email address I already had, so was offered an alternative with the name appended with a '2', which he obviously accepted!
He deals with Howdens who often forgot the '2', so I got his estimates showing his 80% discount on retail prices ...
Perhaps Magnet's prices have a similar mark-up?
--

Terry

says...

Howdens don't have retail prices as they wont sell to consumers
they just have some made up price and then their final Trade price.
It seems (I have no personal experience) that the fitter can charge any price he likes between the two at a level that he thinks he can "get away with"
I doubt that anyone gets away with "full price", there's too much competition. No-one who has other offers of 4-5K is going to pay 15K for Howdens.

Their price are retail and, the last time I looked they don't discount appliances. The price you see is the price you pay, even when there's sale on.
Wickes "price matched" their appliances. Quite surprised me how much that took off their headline price.
tim

It's telling that Wren's price comparison: https://www.wrenkitchens.com/kitchen-comparison
claims the average Howdens price is a discount of 76% over list price and uses that as its baseline. So that's a ballpark to use when calculating the 'real' cost of a Howdens kitchen.
Theo
On 16/09/2018 09:08, tim... wrote:

It cost us 4k for the appliances and we got them cheaper than AO, etc.

Was that like for like, or Lamona it's-not-Beko-in-disguise-honest?
Theo

Oh is that that they are
good to know
trim
On 16/09/2018 18:34, Theo wrote:

Bosch. Series six stuff was seriously expensive in the shops but the wife was paying out of her pension lump sum.
I like the pyrolytic cleaning.
The microwave/oven is a bit odd.. power settings jump from 600W to 1000W with nothing in between.
I also don't like that you can't use silicon bakeware as it does the baking sensor in.
The ability to set precise temps over a wide range is useful, I use the big oven to dry out 3D printing filaments and to anneal printed bits.
You need to consider these DIY things if buying new appliances.
The dishwasher has a handy feature in that the door opens if you push it which is handy when the wife has arthritis in the fingers. Its also completely integrated and projects an image of what its doing on the floor as it has no visible display.
On Monday, 17 September 2018 10:04:17 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Is that feature aimed at cat owners?
Owain
On 17/09/2018 10:15, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Could be, do I need to steal one to see if it does anything?

Yes, both those we also find useful. Ours has no cutlery basket, instead there's a third tray right at the top in which you lay out the cuttles. In this way cutlery items do not abrade each other during washing which f'rinstance helps knives retain their cutting edges.
--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill "Cannot possibly
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 10:39:52 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

So do we. The only downside is that if the upper basket has a lot in it, the water doesn't uniformly get to the cutlery!

Hmm, don't think we've suffered from that yet, but thanks for the hint, I'll look out for it. Having remaining time projected on the floor (or not if it's finished) is also very useful.
--
Lady Astor: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."
dennis@home wrote:

I bet that's handy for people with varifocals!
On 17/09/2018 11:18, Andy Burns wrote:

People with varifocals can see what's on the floor without much trouble. Projecting it on the ceiling might be a problem.