New Kitchen - which 'sheds' are best

A new kitchen is being planned and looking around much of the carcasses seem similar. Around us we have Wickes, B&Q, Homebase and Howarth Timber.

Howarth seem marginally better but does anyone have any views overall please?

Reply to
Ermin

According to the Which? report (yes, I know):

scores out of 5 for quality and durability of cupboards:

DIY Kitchens: N/A Ikea: 5, 5 John Lewis: 5, 5 Howdens: 5, 4 Independents: 5, 5 Magnet: 4, 4 Wickes: 4, 4 Benchmarx: 4, 4 B&Q: 3, 3 Homebase: 3, 3 Wren: 4, 3

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Some years ago when I only needed to source carcases I was surprised to find that B&Q prices were good and their quality seemed to be better than Wickes (normally my first port of call). Also they had a very good range of sizes. IIRC I thought their doors were rubbish though.

Reply to
newshound

About 5 years ago Howdens were better than the sheds. One major benefit is that they hold the stock already assembled on site.

Use to be that if B&Q et. al. delivered the wrong or faulty components or missed something out you had to wait another 6-8 weeks for the missing bits to arrive.

A long time back (around 2006) we used Kitchen George in Reading and they were pretty damn good - again all cupboards pre-assembled and stock held on site. However they seem to have ceased trading so Dover/Rochester seem the only places you can get them now.

I assume Ikea have readily available supply, but have never used their kitchen units.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just ordered new units and doors to refurb parents' kitchen, looked at B&Q plus Wickes, the full range of sizes from B&Q are only in the Cook&Lewis range, not the cheaper IT Kitchens, but not much difference in quality that I noticed.

Wickes were too cagey about giving a price-list for their "showroom" range, would only give one for their "take away" range, so they didn't get a look-in after all ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not quite shed, but seven years ago we were recommended a custom kitchen place run out of an trading estate, that had a CNC operated factory chopping and facing MDF boards with heat applied and shrunk glossy white film.

It looked great for the first few years, but is now turning a lot beige (think smoking room, but we don't smoke) compared with an Ikea MDF cupboard in the room that is still the original coated brilliant white.

I'll be ripping out all and replacing with Ikea one day, if the Kitchen ever gets promoted above being a place to order, unpack, cut and plate delivered takeaways and microwave wonders...

OTH, I purchased a cheap wall cupboard carcase through eBay a few years ago. Adding to the Which table Theo posted, I'd like to add

eBay: 1, 1

i.e. Don't go there...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Interestingly local shops suggest Wicks or wren. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You might try taking a look at

Don't know how their prices compare to the sheds but the units look to be of good quality and they seem prepared to give prices for everything.

Reply to
Andrew May

haha!

Thanks Theo and all others who have replied. I'll have a closer look at the local ones in the light of what has been said.

Reply to
Ermin

don't have anything to do with ieeka .....

Reply to
Mannequin of mirth ...

I used a local furniture maker/restorer. Surprisingly she was competitive on price, and the quality far exceeded anything in the sheds.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

but it isn't just, about that is it

Most fitters will tell you not to buy Ikea because they are hard to fit (not having a void at the back for pipe work, I understand)

and when I looked at the choices in the Benchmarx catalogue, I thought "is that it!" and put it in the bin.

and have you seen the joke prices of appliances at Magnet?

tim

Reply to
tim...

but they'll only sell to you if referred by a trader

and as I found out, only if that trader is registered at that branch

I went to the one literally 2 minutes from my property and give them my referrals name and (after playing with the computer) they said "he's registered at XYZ branch" so I said are XYZ branch, 5 miles away, going to come to a property 300 years from this branch?

As it was a Saturday, the planning people weren't in, so I gave them my number to call back

they have declined to do so.

tim

Reply to
tim...

and the price that you get from Howdens depends upon how much of the discount the trader passes on to you

and how much he keeps for himself

tim

Reply to
tim...

According to the lady from B+Q this morning, Cook and Lewis doors and decor panels have to be ordered separately and come from Italy (Brexit anyone?). Finish looked very good to me.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Any comments on Benchmarx kitchens, part of the Travis Perkins Group , trade only like Howdens.

Reply to
Robert

It was 3 week delivery when I ordered, I was told that's largely dependant on delivery vehicle slots rather than stock availability.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm going to be in the same boat so keeping an eye on this but Howdans name has come up a couple of times in discussion with neighbours.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I just don't like the fact that I can't just go into my local store and have them design and price up a kitchen for me

My nearest store is 200 yards away from me

But that isn't the one that going to supply my new house.

So I can't go there. I have to make a 6 hour round trip to sit in a different store.

tim

Reply to
tim...

How do you objectively judge "Quality"?