Charities (OT)

My lad was offered a job like that when he was a student, a cancer charity. He was told he could keep 50% of what he took. He was too uncomfortable with the whole setup and didn't turn up.

Reply to
Graham.

About 12 - 15 years ago I sent off for a brochure from the Welsh Tourist Board (or whatever it was calling itself) and ended up with something over a hundred pieces of junk. I just did the return trick and after a few months there were no more.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, works for us. Occasionally, we have invited them round. They are the local builders, very good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, I'd been polite to them for years and ran out of patience. Some folk just dont listen to a polite no and become pests.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Good.

Reply to
ARW

I have reservations about local *events* run to raise money for charities. Is there any mechanism for ensuring that the funds are not trousered by the organisers?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Even worse, our MP is now "mad Nad" Dorries.

Reply to
Huge

would the funds being "handbagged" be any better?

Reply to
charles

Unlike some, I'm not massively bothered. Perhaps we have too big a paper recycling box ? My point was they have spent much more on marketing to me than they ever made from my £20 order ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There's laws against it, sure - not least of which are the various fraud and theft offences. Or are you asking about enforcement of those laws?

Reply to
Adrian

A specific local one would be *Paws* where a clutch of local dog walkers

*walk* their dogs over a pre-planned route.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

First, somebody has to bring it to the attention of the Police, with something a bit more credible than a vague suspicion.

The Charities Commission investigate suspected financial shenanigans, too

- but, again, they need to know where to target their attention.

Reply to
Adrian

Nothing to say what percentage of takings can go out as expenses. A charity is however required to record all the income and bank it before the expenses are paid out.

Reply to
bert

Commiserations.

Not that any of them seem worth a damn. I wrote to ours about software patents and got a reply that said he didn't understand the point, didn't want to get involved and that the IPO must surely know what they are doing so why couldn't I accept that?

Then he got caught with rent boys and was a dead duck thereafter.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sealed collecting containers must be paid into the bank still sealed, or counted by specified people to help avoid the problem. I'd be less keen to donate into open buckets or envelopes.

Theft of bagged clothing etc is an issue for charities, and one that's hard to solve.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's what a degree in "Greats" (whatever that is), "Classics" (whatever that is) or PPE qualifies you for.

Reply to
Huge

Ours was a graduate of Hatfield Poly and just seems to be a brainless wimp. Apparently when C4 did a repeat of sticking MPs in a council house to see what it was like he threw himself to the ground in tears on his first day. He's also run away from the village where I live because the place is too small and he didn't like the way people looked at him.

Nadine Dorries was on that program as well.

Oaten seems to have problems with reality. For example the Independent website has an article from him stating that on the day he was door stepped he knew something unusual was going on because there were two cars in the village hall car park and that was "unusual". It's an unusual day when there as few as two cars there. The local garage uses it for overspill parking and they usually have three cars there. There is a nursery and sports for the kids and a computer club.

He keeps very quiet about the subject of his degree.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Medway Handyman wrote on Aug 29, 2013:

10 years ago I was diagnosed with a malignant tumour in my sinuses which was cured (touch wood) by a course of radiotherapy. I signed up shortly after for £2 a month to Cancer Research - a pittance, I know, but...

I've had one or two phone calls since then, and a few letters asking to increase it but I would hardly call it being pestered.

Reply to
Mike Lane

The most recent one with us was the NSPCC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman