Charities (OT)

Talking about being treated like shit by the RSPCA....

When we were selling our last house, our first buyer messed us around no end. Tried to blackmail us into dropping the price after we'd agreed it, then had a key cut so they could go in and start making holes in walls to test. This was before exchange of contracts. Also messed us around time wise, and we'd already been advised by our estate agent to dump him.

We'd already moved house the week before (SWMBO was heavily pregnant) so the house was empty, but our neighbour had noticed him repeatedly visiting.

We boarded the cats at the RSPCA for a night while we moved. Noticed our buyer there - his mum was in charge of the cattery.

Anyway, we dumped him although he got quite nasty about it.

A few months later, one cat died and we were looking for another. Phoned up the RSPCA; all very helpful until I gave my name and address, at which point she said "I don't deal with people like you" and put the phone down.

Professional, or what?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I never did like Lord of the Rings, so that's OK by me...

Reply to
Bob Eager

"I have no money or soul"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

To drag this back on-topic, I bought something from CPC costing £2 (with free postage). The deluge of offer brochures has now started...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Take of the glossy covers and the pages are good for lighting the fire. Saves having to buy a newspaper. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jehovah's witnesses can be very persistent. 'Mmmmm, blood' turns out to be surprisingly effective

Reply to
meow2222

Although they seem to be concentrating on the younger generation around here. I have seen lots of teenagers wandering around with JW sweatshirts.

Reply to
Andrew May

Reply to
Tim Lamb

About once a month, a car will park at the top of our cul-de-sac, and 4 chuggers wil get out and work the street. 2 one side, 2 the other, leap- frogging each other as they go. It's painfully slick.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

After recently buying a couple of packs of mineral supplements from Healthspan, I have received 8 100+ page glossy brochures in the post ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

JW's are the only cold callers we get, about once every couple of years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Try re-labelling the brochures as *not known at this address, please return to sender*. Does anyone know if this tactic will or has worked? Will the sender get charged for all of the returned mail?

Reply to
Bod

When JWs call, ask them if they could wait a few minutes whilst you get your collection of voodoo dolls out to show them ;-)

Reply to
Bod

Reply to
Bod

I've always found a simple "Thanks, not interested." works just fine. We had 'em here, in the arse end of nowhere, the other week - first time for many years, despite those years all being in town.

Reply to
Adrian

Participating in any charity giving where you supply your name and address such as a raffle, DD etc. will mean that the charity has your permission to sell on your name and address.

The fact that they do this at all, permission or not, just means that they will never get any more money from me. They are no better than the scum that cold call on the phone on a regular basis (despite registering with the TPS).

It will soon be time for the other underhand tricks that the charities adopt. Send an unsolicited pack of Christmas cards with an invoice and a letter implying that you HAVE to pay for them or send them back at YOUR expense.

Reply to
alan

A friend of mine saves junk mail until he gets some with an envelope with a return address. The old junk then gets stuffed into the envelope to recycle it back to the new recipient.

Reply to
alan

Good one :-)

Reply to
Bod

IIRC, in 20 years in this house, we've had 3 cold callers; a religious type who asked if we wanted to know Jesus and upon being told "No", said "OK" and left; A man selling fish from a van; And our MP.

Reply to
Huge

Well, with dubious characters like MPs the fewer visits the better...

Reply to
docholliday93