Central heating spares kit

Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got them immediately to hand.

Reply to
John Phillips

There are quite a few bits in a boiler and chances are that you'll not have the *right* bits when it breaks. But things like thermostats, PCBs, fans (if appropriate), thermocouples (if permanent pilot light), etc. just might be useful.

For the rest of the system, you might consider keeping a spare pump and motorised valve - or maybe just its actuator - or maybe just the motor and microswitches if you like re-building actuators.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In my van I try to keep:

A circulation pump. A couple of "syncron" motors A couple of thermocouples. Fuses, wires and crimp connectors.

In my store is A one channel programmer A two channel programmer A progstat. A cylinder stat. A wall stat A 3 port valve A 2 port valve

I have a lot of customers with Pott. Profiles so I keep the electronics module for those. A lot of the rest have Vaillants so I have VCW diverter valve, VCW PCB set.

Turbo max + APS (these were something of a stock fault 2003-4) Turbo max + Diverter valves (these fail on the earlier models). Turbo max + 'sardine can' (for the models that like to cook chalk).

This latter would probably fit a large number of modern combis.

Mostly I have accquired these part by accident rather than design.

I have an ignition lead and electrode for my own Keston and a combustion fan, courtesy of Keston 8-).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Given a decent system shouldn't give trouble that often I'd say no - or certainly not the expensive stuff. For a start, it could well be out of warranty before it's needed.

Heating a house/water with an alternative for a couple of days until spares arrive isn't going to be as expensive as keeping all the likely things as spares - and sod's law will say the most expensive will never get used - and not fit the replacement boiler you'll need after some years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Useful points.

I think the most-often diagnosed CH problem here on uk.diy seems to be the dry part of a two-port or three-port valve. I was considering if it might be worth the insurance of having a spare.

However I suspect the Honeywell mid-position valve I have is currently very common and easy to find. And even though it looks like a common fault this does not indicate that it's a fault that occurs often. Should I assume they are rather reliable?

I have had one pump failure in 20-mumble years of running a CH system and it took almost no time to locate a replacement in one of the DIY sheds and fit it. Actually I do have a spare as I rescued a working pump from the debris of a renovation. I am not sure I will ever have the chance to use it, though.

Reply to
John Phillips

It's usually the 3-port valve which has the most devastating effect when it goes wrong because it plays a very strategic role in the overall control system. A spare actuator may not be a bad idea if you're worried about it failing at an inconvenient time.

They last for several years, and usually start playing up before failing completely.

I've got a spare pump because my existing pump seemed to be getting a bit noisy, and I thought it might fail, and bought a new one just in case. That was over a year ago, and it's still going strong!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I wish I had a spare fan! The central heating stopped working this morning. I called BG and an engineer arrived 2 hours 15 mins later. Unfortunately it needs a fan that cannot be got until Monday.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

Couldn't he have squirted WD40 at the bearings to keep it going over the w/e?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a couple of spare combustion chamber gaskets (I rather doubt this can be opened and the old gasket reused, as it seems to crack up), burner gasket (never needed to open that yet), a couple of electrode gaskets, an electrode (waiting to be fitted, but my repaired one is doing better than the original one ever did, lighting first time, every time), and a new semi-rigid exhaust hose (will swap out the concertina one this summer).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel