Ceiling tiles

Are there any suspended ceiling fitters in this group? I am looking for some advice for my sister, she is preparing her shop (new venture) for opening in the next couple of weeks and one of the things she wants is a black ceiling. There is already a suspended ceiling there, the tiles are

1200 x 600 and those fibre ones that are in most schools. What is the best way to paint them? She has tried emulsion, after taking the tiles down, but the problem is trying to get the paint into all the nooks and crannies. She is having to put that much paint on they become very wet and heavier than they were and take ages to dry before she can put them back up. This is obviously very time consuming and having these tiles on the floor waiting to dry they are in the way of other things that need doing. Can anyone suggest another method or alternatively a supplier of black tiles at a reasonable cost. Somebody has told her that for the amount she needs, approx 50 IIRC, it will cost about £200.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Spray paint?

Reply to
timfy

One thing to be careful of is that the fibre tiles may be a fire safety requirement and that painting them may reduce their effectiveness in that role.

If she cannot afford to spend an extra £200 in setting up the business, it suggests that the business is under-capitalised, which does not bode well for its long term survival. New businesses have a huge failure rate and those that start with limited cash are the most vulnerable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I wonder if you could use black fabric dye applied with a sprayer.

Reply to
Rob Morley

"nightjar .uk.com>"

A public building that I used to help to maintain has a fibre tile ceiling. We removed the tiles, gave them a coat or two of vinyl matt emulsion and replaced them. This was a few years back and the fire officer has not "yet" had a grumpy afaik on his annual inspections.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

Spray paint with matt black car type cellulose spray.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"John" wrote | I am looking for some advice for my sister, she is preparing | her shop (new venture) for opening in the next couple of weeks | and one of the things she wants is a black ceiling. There is | already a suspended ceiling there, the tiles are 1200 x 600 | and those fibre ones that are in most schools.

Spray paint. And budget for a whopping increase in electricity bills because of the additional lighting required.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That'll be a great help to the fire resistance. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)