Purlin roofs.....do they need?

do they _need_ ceiling ties to stop the spread or do the purlins stop the spread as well as sagging? as seen on another thread, i need to evacuate the roof space in my garage in order that i can use my car lift to its full hight. atm, the ceiling joists prevent the car from going up very far at all, so they need to be removed. the roof is a 45degrees tiled, with

2be3inch rafters at 400mm centers, with 3be9inch pulins half way down. the purlins are themselves supported at 2.5m spans by 4be4inch posts dropping down to an rsj. i had a mate round yesterday who is a civil engineer and he said that he thought the because the roor has purlins, you dont _need_ the ties that natraly form the ceiling, so that would solve one problem. next problem is increasing the span of the purlins from 2.5m to 6.5 or 7 meters without support. he suggested increasing the strength of the purlins with flitches ie steel plates bolted to both sides of the purlin for most of its length, or failing that replacing the wood perlins with RSJs. i am still waiting for the architect to come out so i am still bouncing ideas about on the best way to solve the problem!

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Create a dormer roof above your car lift area. This can be tied to the rest of the roof to keep it's strength, and it's a lot easier to do than trying to remove, replace and repair little sections.

Reply to
BigWallop

problem is this would create a very odd looking garage, plus the dormers would have to be 16 foot wide:-)

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

May I suggest a quick call to a structiral enginner, and the constriction of a steel frame to go round the hoist to support the ridge and rafters in that area, going down to floor level?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't need a 'mate' or an architect. You need a structural engineer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sounds good. If the OP wants a cheaper quicker easier method they could dig down under the lift area instead.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

So you think undermining foundations safer than altering a roof?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hehe :) I was thinking in terms of digging a pit rather than digging the whole place out. Of course if lacking knowledge there is the possibility of doing it wrong...

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Having had a pit once, there's no choice between it and a proper car lift. That's what most car DIYers can only dream of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can remember when you two didn't have a pit to hiss in. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

yep. after years doing my apprenticeship under cars in the pouring rain with not even a garage to work in, or a decent driveway to work on... i figured i deserved a little luxury! now i have a nice big garage...and now a nice (old)car lift... there's little point in having one that can only go to waist height! i don't mind putting in a little(ok a lot) of effort and cash into doing it properly. save me a fortune over the years to come, and more than that...i don't have to replace break pads in the pouring, freezing rain again! woohoo!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy