CCTV advice please.

Following some escalation in attempted or successful break-ins in our village, we wish to install some cctv.

To begin with I think that 2 wireless cameras with the facility to record to a router usb disc or a pc HDD. It will not be possible to run a network cable anywhere.

Any suggestions for a mid-priced secure setup?

Regards

Reply to
Newman

what about power?

Reply to
Andy Burns

OP is planning to use "wireless" cameras. Unfortunatley the misleading marketing has led him to think "wireless" means "no wires".

I'd look at what packged systems are available, preferably using PoE IP based cameras with, at the absolute minimum, Full HD resolution.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

FWIW, these are battery.

TVI is also an option for HD over coaxial. Still need power though.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Another option might be the Blink XT2. One nice thing about the netgear is that (I guess) the USB ports on the base station let you save to a memory stick or USB hard drive. Saves faffing about with a cloud subscription or downloading from the "free" 7 day cloud.

Reply to
newshound

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. Yes I will be able to get power to the cameras.

Regards

Reply to
Newman

You did, you stated "It will not be possible to run a network cable anywhere." ;-)

The only way that would be related to powering the cameras is if you were going to power them over the network cables (and you obviously weren't).

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can buy ethernet cable suitable for installing outside, if that helps. The cable could also supply power to the camera using PoE

Reply to
Michael Chare

If you can get power to them you should obviously not use wireless ones. It's no more trouble to run RG59+2 than it is to run a power-only cable.

And why not get a proper dedicated recorder? They're cheap as chips and interface nicely with the internet.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Obviously? How does the difficulty of running cables compare with the potential ease of finding power local to the cameras?

Except he's expressly stated he won't be running any 'data'/ signal' cable and so it won't be 'no more trouble' to run a power cable along with it as he won't be doing that in the first place?

What if say it's a listed building, or he doesn't have access to the area between where the cameras will be located (and where the power is available)?

Why not indeed. You could have asked "Have you considered a dedicated recorder (that will allow easy configuration of Wireless IP cameras)"

Is an IP recorder that will support a WiFi cam sill going to be 'as cheap as chips' and easy to connect with WiFi IP cameras?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Look for cameras with 30m night vision range.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Many people don't have the time, interest or option to 'run cables' to things these days and hence why they go for the WiFi options. This is pretty clear from the number of Wireless alarm systems in use today and where people can't even be bothered to put an ignition key in their car. ;-)

It could, if there was a cable, but we were told that 'won't be possible'. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Where does he say he can find local power?

For no good reason. That's my point. He has a misapprehension that I have corrected.

What if it's a little house in the forest made of chocolate? What if it's an ice hotel and will melt when Spring comes? What if he lives in a f****ng cardboard box?

So you are correcting my phraseology now are you?

Absolutely. Yes.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That refers to the power of the IR. Since IR is not as good as available light for IDs etc think also about the genuine available light low light level performance. Don't use a cheap camera that relies entirely on IR for night vision.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

don't think I'd want to run a cable to my car. People might trip over it.

Reply to
charles

what if it's like my garden shed. It's fed with 200ft of underground mains cable. No duct,.

Reply to
charles

To be fair, it's relatively easier to conceive a plan to get power to each individual camera than to connect all of them to some sort of recording source.

Reply to
R D S

But won't record 24/7 to a hard drive on your router.

They will record 24/7 to arlo's drives in the USA or wherever they are, at a hell of a price per month.

And the battery won't last that long if you run them like that.

You can add a solar charger to each camera, but how well that works in the UK in winter isn't likely to be viable.

Reply to
John_j

No doubt T r o l l will give advice for all those possibilities.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Total lack of foresight there Charles....

Bill

Reply to
williamwright