Relamping with LED

I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a similar size?

Reply to
John

sure

Maybe you can provided some added light elsewhere.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright than halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often described as stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why. Is it perhaps because the leds used tend to have discreet colours mixed to make it look like white, but there are key frequencies missing, much like those low energy lamps they used to give away. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

This was covered - more or less - in the recent thread "Where to buy G9 LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?" Basically, if your ceiling fitting was designed for use with G9 halogens, you might well find that LED bulbs overheat in the same fitting, and give a lot shorter life than you expect. In general, too, the lumen figures quoted for LED G9s are, shall we say, somewhat on the optimistic side!

That being said, if you could get G9 low voltage LEDs you should find they are more reliable than mains G9 LEDs, as it is usually the power supply circuitry in the base of the bulb which fails through overheating rather than the led module itself. The problem is that, as far as I can see, all G9 bulbs are mains voltage!

So if you need a power supply and something different from G9s, why not replace the light fitting and stay with a mains voltage LED bulb? GU10s, in my experience, are more reliable and brighter than G9s, and there is a vast choice of ceiling fittings for GU10s.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

We?ve several lights which use 2 x G9 40W. While they are fine heat/arcing wise ( the bulb holders are ceramic) they are terrible life wise.

I?ve tried a few LED replacements which claimed to give an equivalent or higher light output but none were even as good. All were 240V. I?m still hoping to find some, meanwhile I have a stock of 40W G9 bulbs and a ladder handy.

As for the lamp holder, our G9 holder is secured by 2 small screws, visible from the bulb position on some and the reverse ( back) on another one. You can buy ceramic fittings on EBay.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes the plastic holder go brittle with age in any case. Not needing light these days means I don't really have a view, but there do seem to be a lot of people moaning about lights of late. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)