Where to buy G9 LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?

My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9 LEDs?

Reply to
Chris Green

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

I have G9 light fittings (originally halogen-based) in the kitchen, and have been disappointed with the light level from "equivalent" lumen leds, and their life. The trouble is, I could get brighter leds with a higher lumen output, but they'd run hotter and burn out more quickly. I'm thinking of changing the fittings to GU10.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The light fittings actually specify G9 LED lamps so maybe/hopefully will get them to run cool enough.

Reply to
Chris Green

In general, they produce less heat than their halogen equivalent, so where's the problem? Certainly the one on this desk allows me to touch & hold the metal shade which I could never do withn the halogen one.

Reply to
charles

Because a G9 halogen will tolerate MUCH higher temperatures than a G9 LED.

Reply to
Andrew May

See second bullet point of #4 here:

If the led points up in an open fitting, even made of glass or other poor heat conductor there shouldn't be a problem, as the heat produced by the electronic power supply in the base of the lamp can escape. However, if the bulb is fully enclosed, or points down in an unventilated holder, the heat produced by the power supply in the base has nowhere to go. If you feel the base of a 4W led in such a holder after being on for a few hours, you will find it is on the warm side.

Your metal shade is a good conductor of heat, so any heat produced by the led dissipates quickly. Try the same thing with a glass shade and you'll soon see the difference.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

This.

I have foolishly installed four light fittings with G9 LED bulbs. I?m fed up playing the bulb changing game. Seriously thinking about just going back to halogen or ditching the lights.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

After 3 hours, I can even touch the glass envelope. I agree about temperature in GU10 fittings, of which I have many.

Reply to
charles

Surely if the leds get hotter than a halogen there is something v very wrong somewhere. Could it be down to the space needed to get the power supply bit into? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Really? electronics will withstand temperatures hot enough to melt solder, DAMHIKT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

G9 led bulbs that I got from Ledhut were constantly blowing but the cheap never-heard-of-brand replacements that I got via Amazon nearly two years ago have been trouble-free in the same fittings and I've not had to use any of the spares that I bought just-in-case. THey are brighter as well.

Reply to
Peter Johnson