Cavity closing in the early 60's - Anyone had experiences?

I have one of those wonderful house that dont have patio/french doors

I'm therefore going to be ripping out a window in my dining room an installing some sliding-folding (concertinaing) doors in the nea future. As I will be chopping down the portion of brickwork below th current window cill, it will result in me having about 1.2m of cavit exposed either side. This in itself is not a problem as I was going t stick some Thermabate (or similar) cavity closer in there.

My question is this:

The current window reveal obviously has the brickwork returned to clos off the cavity on either cheek as in the 60's insulated cavity close were not even dreamed of!. So before commencing, would you expect th cavity be closed off by:

a. brickwork fully bonded to both internal and external skins b. bricks bonded to internal skin with a full height vertical join where it butts the external skin c. brick bonded to external skin with a full height vertical join where it butts the internal skin (unlikely as there are no interna vertical cracks which you would expect)

In b & c above would they have potentially installed a vertical dam membrane/course/barrier/goo-paint to stop moisture penetrating straigh through from outer to inner skin?

Finally, I was going to chop out these bricks currently bridging th cavity anyway, allowing me to install a full height (2.1m) cavit closer. Is this advisable, worth doing or to be avoided at all costs?

N.B. I won't be grinding the reveal down, but toothing out and makin good. Don't think the missus (or the little one come to think of it will like a house full of brick dust caused by grinding! ;-

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

defnitely not

correct.

60s/70s era would have been a bitumastic felt (150mm wide IIRC but could be 100mm/4inch??) dpc against the outer wall and cut brick or block closer turned in from the inner skin plus wall ties inboard along the wall not too far away

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Cool. Thats wot I suspect. Glad I was thinking along the right lines

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy