damp and structural worries where modern casement window fitted in outer leaf of cavity wall - ?

This was done (not very carefully) some years ago. The window is 6' wide - almost the entire width of the wall, with about 12" left (internally) on one side and only about 5" on the other. Support is a concrete lintel on the outer wall and 4"x4" timber supporting inner skin. Damp is one thing - there is no cavity tray and I am not sure if damp is coming via the cavity or being driven through wall around window frame. Also I am concerned that the window is so wide and wonder if I could tie in bricks on the side which goes closest to the return wall and narrow the window frame at the same time. Any ideas where I should look for answers to retro-fitting cavity tray and tying what would be just one brick pillar to the wall? The whole thing is a bit of a mess and I want to get it done in one go if possible. On the plus side no sign of movement in walls to side or above. Thanks for advice! Peter

Reply to
peter

A photo would be useful. Is this a wooden frame? If so, they don't last long when fitted to the outer leaf, and the source of damp is often difficult to pin down. Upvc is a better bet for this type of window.

Reply to
Stuart Noble