Car Port

Has anyone put up a car port?

I am thinking of one of those you see advertised in the magazines made by Norfolk . Comes in sections and is plastic. a) Is it very hard to do? ( we have a bungalow so it would have to be attached to the fascia under the roof)

b) does it need planning permission?

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

Do you mean the sort that is cantilevered off the wall, with no ground support?

They need to be fixed to 4 or 5 courses of good solid brickwork (not a fascia) - so it's doubtful whether you'd have enough headroom with most bungalows, unless it's fixed to an end gable. Even then, I think I'd be worried about what would happen when it blows a gale.

Who would be fitting it - you or your energetic husband?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well, it looked to me from the picture as if it had a set of uprights on thefar side and was fixed to the wall on the other. rather than being catelevered but I am not sure, not having seen more than a picture in Garden News.

My husband . I want a place to keep the rain off my car ( and me) and we have enough room down the side of the house if we move a small shed.

Reply to
sweetheart

Is this the sort of thing?

of these appear to have legs, but many don't.]

Incidentally, I imagine that the supplier would normally fit them rather than just supplying the bits for DIY installation. It looks like the sort of job which is much easier when you've got a team of several people who all know what they're doing!

Reply to
Roger Mills

this one. They don't fit. They only supply. They also do a porch they advertise a lot

Reply to
sweetheart

I think the OP is probably on about these, as they advertise in the gardening press a lot (note to OP).

Reply to
chris French

Yes, I see. Well, that one has definitely got legs and is not cantilevered.

Why not ask them to email you a set of installation instructions so that can see what's involved?

Reply to
Roger Mills

There's one of those on my bungalow, attached to the gable end.

I saw the invoice for it, about £2200 for 26' feet of it (around ten years ago).

Never worried about it blowing away. Recently I briefly thought about taking it down temporarily for access for cavity wall insulation, until I went outside and had a closer look; it's pretty solid!

Reply to
BartC

If you've only a small shed, the first thing he'll want to do is colonise the car port.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Dont tell me about it. One of the reasons ( aside of its damp and needs moving) I want to loose the shed is he has colonised it with loads of rubbish ( you must know the kind - I throw out a useless vaccuum cleaner or lawnmower that doesnt work and he retrieves them and puts them in there. Its mostly used to put recyling bags in at the moment.

It also stops me being able to cut the hedge behind it and that grows until it takes all the light from the house.

But he does have a 12ft square summer house and a 6ft by 8ft shed in the back garden , as well as a brick built out house as a workshop ( not as he does anything workshopie. It stores tools. Its lockable). So he rally does not need this little store. I could easily have one of those outside cubboards ( stores) to put the recycling in until its collected. he even has my potting shed .

A car port would give me somewhere to keep the car and would keep the outside of the house there dry. Thanks for pointing the problem.

Reply to
sweetheart

I hadnt thought I could do that. Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

No - it won't!

Reply to